1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

WOW, Vid, Deep Forearm LAC due to Chainsaw accident - Graphic with blood and stuff.

Post in 'The Gear' started by HDRock, Jun 13, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

It's amazing how cavalier this doc is about this guy nearly losing an arm. He "almost missed dinner because of this." ;lol :roll:
    HDRock likes this.
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Saw stuff like this when I was a ff/emt. It's always sickening, but it always makes you more careful, too... Mods should leave it here, IMO.
  4. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    I wonder how that happened?
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Well, his arm is a limb... Oh, never mind. Gallows humor. Couldn't have survived without it.;sick
    Joful and gmule like this.
  6. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Yikes! Carefull with the saws fella's!!

Somebody PLEASE re-post/bump this around late November/December when I start processing some wood!
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like my left leg in 1988. You could see the bone. Held it together up the 900 feet to the house and drove to the emergency room. Lady told me to have a seat. In a minute a nurse ran out and hauled me in.

While the two ER docs were stitching it inside and out they were talking about their golf games. I didn't want to irritate them by giving them any grief at the moment. After they finished I burned their ear drums.
  8. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not sure that would bother me. I might even find it comforting; if they're not worried, why should I be? I wouldn't be happy if they seemed distracted, but people think more clearly when they're relaxed.

I have a friend who's a retired surgeon, with whom I've talked quite a bit about surgery. It's not all gore and revulsion for them; it's more like working on machine that happens to be soft and wet. There are dangerous bits, but it's not all dangerous, and they can generally tell the difference.
  9. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yep. When its real serious you can tell. They're not doing any small talk.
    I never wear arm protection, might start. I'm saving this for around October
    and show it to a few people.;)
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Just another day at the office... like swapping out power supplies on a Dell.
    ScotO and BrotherBart like this.
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Once upon a time, that was an interesting and potentially smokey operation. ;lol

Dell decided to use some powersupplies that used standard ATX connectors but for some $&%^ing reason the polarity was reversed. So replacing the power supply with a standard off the shelf component would fatally wound the mainboard every time. (circa 2000-2002?)
  12. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    Shouldn't the part about this being very graphic maybe be in the title? I saw the pic before that little warning. Yuck!!! I'm sitting here trying to figure out what position that guy had to have been in to be cut there. I can't even begin to recreate it. Any idea how he did that?
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Done.
  14. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I like the new title ,BB :)
  15. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    Love the new title and stuff. ;lol
  16. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    chain could have broken and come back deflected in some manner
  17. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Geez... I hope not! I'd hate to think he was doing everything right, and still ended up with that gash.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Saw a similar cut happen to my cousin's FIL (he owns a local landscaping/tree removal service). Guy was a professional and never had an accident in 30 years of doing tree work. He was up in a lift limbing out a tree when his hand slipped off of the saw (never activated the brake). Saw fell backwards under partial throttle and did exactly what happened to that guys' arm. I'm betting that he was using a top handled saw and had a similar scenario.

Just goes to show you that no matter how experienced you are, accidents can happen to anybody ANYTIME. Always have your head in the game and be very careful!