WOW, what a difference good wood makes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wowser

Nov 12, 2011
southern california
just had a cord of red gum eucalyptus delivered this morning. Got a fire going at 10 and had flames for a good 3-4 hours and it's still going strong. Took a while to get that euc going though, but it's been six hours and still good heat. Tested at about 12%-16% so it's nice and dry. Not sure if it's a full cord, maybe a smidgen less. There's another 2-3 feet of wood to the left of the pic.

Much better than the mixed hardwood I got lastime. This guy came in from the country to deliver to this city boy. Extra $40 gas charge was worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_20111229_133925.jpg
    IMG_20111229_133925.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 616
That right there is some primo firewood.

Long ago in Redondo Beach, we burned eucalyptus. It had a heavenly scent, I thought. I miss that alot. You have a good stash there.

yea, real happy with it. Will order from this guy again.

When I lived in San Diego I was surrounded by Eucalyptus...it was ubiquitous there. I wasn't a woodburner when I lived there...no need for heat, to speak of. I know Euc makes for some great burning wood...it's dense & heavy. Sure wish I could get hold of a load like that up here in Oregon...but I may be one of only about three people in the state who even knows what it is. %-P Enjoy! Rick

good stuff. just curious what a cord of that goes for out there?

$250 plus $40 fuel charge because I was about an hour out of his area. He's in San Bernardino and I'm in central Orange County, CA. I'm happy as it's burning way longer than the other guy I got wood from. It's really dense and heavy. He said he was splitting it yesterday and I called back concerned it wasn't dry. He claimed it came from some huge mountain fire clearing and was nearly dead, plus it's been siting in biscuits or logs or something for three or four years. It was very dry. I split a few and they read 14-16% on my meter. Interesting burn; more blue/orange flames, not as vibrant as other wood, but puts out heat and doesn't coal for a loooong time.

<<good stuff. just curious what a cord of that goes for out there?>>

wowser said:
$250 plus $40 fuel charge because I was about an hour out of his area. He's in San Bernardino and I'm in central Orange County, CA. I'm happy as it's burning way longer than the other guy I got wood from. It's really dense and heavy. He said he was splitting it yesterday and I called back concerned it wasn't dry. He claimed it came from some huge mountain fire clearing and was nearly dead, plus it's been siting in biscuits or logs or something for three or four years. It was very dry. I split a few and they read 14-16% on my meter. Interesting burn; more blue/orange flames, not as vibrant as other wood, but puts out heat and doesn't coal for a loooong time.

<<good stuff. just curious what a cord of that goes for out there?>>

"Dense" would be measured in units like lb/cu.ft.; "heavy" in units like lb. See the diff.?
Density would mean something here- relatively consistent across many pieces. Property of the wood.
Not so with "heavy". How many pieces? Property of the specified pile.

Not meaning to be picky at all. These are simple fundamental concepts, and fuzzy thinking sets my teeth to grinding.

I wouldn't pick him apart. A large dense piece would feel heavy. A small dense piece may not feel heavy.

That is some cool looking wood!

does it get cold enough for a fire in SO.CAL? I bet you don't burn much per season. Maybe you're in the higher elevations?

fossil said:
When I lived in San Diego I was surrounded by Eucalyptus...it was ubiquitous there. I wasn't a woodburner when I lived there...no need for heat, to speak of. I know Euc makes for some great burning wood...it's dense & heavy. Sure wish I could get hold of a load like that up here in Oregon...but I may be one of only about three people in the state who even knows what it is. %-P Enjoy! Rick

You know Rick, its funny that I never even paid any attention to trees when I was in San Dog. Until you posted I wouldn't have been able to tell you if they even had trees. :lol: A different life in a different world. Of course, living on base I wasn't too worried about the heat and electric bill. Thanks for the brain jog.

wowser, you are right. When you get good wood, things just go better and you are much happier. I was wondering how that stuff burned so now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.