Wow. What happens when you mix a teenager and a firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnman

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2009
north georgia
Short story.

Recent install of drolet savannah. the wife and son often say i get the house to warm, well:

one night last i'm at work (hospital intensive care unit). a call comes from home; it's the son. he says he thinks "the air conditioner is on." I ask if he has a fire going and he says "yes." I say, "no problem - just go over to the thermostat and slide it up to 90 degrees". He goes to thermostat and says - "it is on 90 dad". I ask "you really think it's the a/c?", he says "i think so." So i direct him to turn the power switch that's on the thermostat to "the off position". He does. I ask "was it the a/c?", he says "yea".

Oh by the way, it was 24 degrees outside and we live in a 1400 sq ft modular home.

My gosh, lol ;-)

Merry "warm" Christmas to all,
rnman

Tell them to open the doors and windows.....cheaper than running the AC :cheese: How do you like your Drolet?

Sounds like it works well!

Alot of creostate.

tfdchief,

fireplace working great. will try to get some newer pics to post. here are a couple of pics right after the install. the door had some build up b/c of the junk wood being burnt right then, but not now :)

Attachments

• Wow.  What happens when you mix a teenager and a firebox?
    P1030906A.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 721
    P1030903A.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 685
    P1030897A.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 689
Looks Great! Enjoy! (My son was thinking about a Drolet so I will pass these on to him). Watch the Christmas tree.....it looks scary close to me. Check your smoke detector batteries and be safe, and have a Merry Christmas, Steve

tfdchief said:
Looks Great! Enjoy! (My son was thinking about a Drolet so I will pass these on to him). Watch the Christmas tree.....it looks scary close to me. Check your smoke detector batteries and be safe, and have a Merry Christmas, Steve

I was thinking the Christmas tree looked kind of close to the stove . . . I've posted many posts about Christmas trees and how they are not as dangerous as many folks would have us believe . . . but still a tree accidentally knocked over on to a hot stove could be a very bad thing.

That said . . . with pics . . . sometimes what seems close isn't all that close and what is far isn't all that far . . . so the pic could be misleading.

Let me know how the A/C is in the spring. Start saving

I told my wife about this post last night when she was complaining that it was 74 in the house!!!

Thx to all for the safety concerns regarding the tree. ya'll (as we say here in georgia) are obviously genuinely good people.

the tree is a little further away than the recommended minumum side clearance of 18" but does look close in the pics. fortunately, the tree is fake and all limbs are cool to the touch with the hottest fires i've had going. below the bottom of the actual firebox around the base the temps are surprisingly comfortable with the base remaining touchable with the hottest fires as well. the stove pipe is 2100HT DVL (double wall) and is touchable with a warm fire, but not with a really hot one; it's has a minumum clearance of 10 " to combustibles. the base on the tree is wide and the tree is very stable, however, now that i've a little healthy paranoia going on :), i'm thinking there will be some wood screws securing it to the floor by tomorrow afternoon. thx again to all for the genuine concerns and for watching out for others and their families.

to all the firefighters, thanks for serving!

the wife is at home by herself tonight (i'm working) and she's sleeping in the living room with the fire. so much for the complaints of too much heat huh, lol.

Merry Christmas to Ya'll,

robert

rnman said:
Thx to all for the safety concerns regarding the tree. ya'll (as we say here in georgia) are obviously genuinely good people.

the tree is a little further away than the recommended minumum side clearance of 18" but does look close in the pics. fortunately, the tree is fake and all limbs are cool to the touch with the hottest fires i've had going. below the bottom of the actual firebox around the base the temps are surprisingly comfortable with the base remaining touchable with the hottest fires as well. the stove pipe is 2100HT DVL (double wall) and is touchable with a warm fire, but not with a really hot one; it's has a minumum clearance of 10 " to combustibles. the base on the tree is wide and the tree is very stable, however, now that i've a little healthy paranoia going on :), i'm thinking there will be some wood screws securing it to the floor by tomorrow afternoon. thx again to all for the genuine concerns and for watching out for others and their families.

to all the firefighters, thanks for serving!

the wife is at home by herself tonight (i'm working) and she's sleeping in the living room with the fire. so much for the complaints of too much heat huh, lol.

Merry Christmas to Ya'll,

robert

Good to hear that clearancs are being met . . . and since it's artificial you don't have to worry about the air drying the tree out.

However, just as a FYI . . . fake Christmas trees can burn as well as real ones . . . they are basically made out of plastic after all . . . As long as the tree is stable (which you say it is) with no pets to accidentally knock it over you're probably OK, but bear in mind that if this tree (or anyone's tree -- I'm making this post for everyone, not just you) or any other tree was to be knocked over on to the hot stove and stay there for a set period of time there is a chance it could catch on fire -- regardless of whether it being real or artificial. Me, being the anal retentive safety guru, I'd still consider moving it away . . . a foot and a half is still pretty darn close to the stove in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.