WS gasket glue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TwiceWarmed

Apr 9, 2019
Upstate, NY
I have an Absolute Steel Hybrid and just got the maintenaince kit with all gaskets. I got 2 heat safe gasket glue bottles and what looks to be furnace cement in an unmarked caulk tube. Is there a difference in quality of bond? I'd imagine around Cat needs high temp stuff but wondering if I can use that all the way around without future issues.

Thanks for any help

Use the gasket glue for all of the gaskets. The furnace cement is for sealing seams. Not sure why they are shipping this for the Absolute Steel. Going by the picture on their website, it also looks like the kit includes a top lid gasket which I didn't think the Absolute Steel had a top lid. This looks more like the kit for the Fireview.

Thanks for the reply, I was leaning that way but looking for confirmation. Any idea on dry time for gasket glue & does it need a fire to cure properly?

The Absolute Steel does have a top lid, its where u access the cat.

Are there directions provided with the kit? Follow them as it depends on what they are using for a gasket adhesive. If it is the same as the Fireview kit then they say allow 30 minutes dry time.

The Absolute Steel does have a top lid, its where u access the cat.
Thanks for that update. I have yet to see this stove.

I haven't looked up the instructions yet, but I remember that they speced furnace cement for one gasket. Maybe the cast iron door, since it gets so hot. That was Fireview/Keystone.
The link begreen posted sez;
"The gasket in your kit has been roughly cut to size and marked with its diameter and length.
Gasket glue or furnace cement will be applied to secure each length in its proper place."

Last edited:
Yes there is an exception. In the instructions they then show the gasket glue being used for each gasket. The exception on the FireView stove is the air duct cover gasket which they bed in furnace cement.

I didn't see any online instruction file for the Absolute Steel. The best guidance is to follow the directions included with the kit for the specific stove.

best guidance is to follow the directions included with the kit for the specific stove.

Looks like Woodstock is revamping their website, but they don't have all the maintenance links set up yet.
Agreed, the instructions included with the gasket kit should specify where furnace cement is to be used.
I looked at the instructions included with the last gaskets I bought for the Keystone. They specify the furnace cement for the cast iron load door and ash door. The Absolute has steel doors, though..

P1040118.JPGP1040119.JPG

I'd be using RTV for those locations. Cement can be no fun to clean with the next gasket replacement.

If the gasket channel is accessible, a cable-twist wire wheel on an angle grinder removes furnace cement quickly. But it doesn't get in corners too well, so you still end up cleaning those out by hand.