WWED? (What Would Elk Do)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
I was perusing Mother Earth News and stumbled on this article: http://tinyurl.com/urzx5

The article is from the late 70's and shows how to turn a discarded hot water heater into a woodstove. If you go to the link, check out the image gallery, it shows pics of the finished stove, and some nice nastolgic 70's era pics!

So WWED? Approve or not? %-P

After reading the article, and seeing the pictures - the one thing that made me laugh was seeing the word "groovy" in print - guess that was a little before my time... but not by too much.

Craig and Wrench:

Hope you don't think my post before was meant to be insultulting in any way - just thought the wording seemed funny to me.

earthharvester said:
I like the WWED

Elk issued the permit for my stove:

Attachments

• mailbox stove 2.jpg
    mailbox stove 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 426
  • mailbox stove 1.jpg
    mailbox stove 1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 433
Harley said:
Craig and Wrench:

Hope you don't think my post before was meant to be insultulting in any way - just thought the wording seemed funny to me.

I'm so insulted!

No worries Harley. Truth be known it's a little before my time too, I received the collection from a friend who was/is a lifetime member. She kept them all, but was downsizing into a smaller home and didn't have the space. She gave them to me with the stipulation that I wouldn't sell them. Since I had a subscription for years I have some overlapping issues. Groovy huh?

-Kevin

BrotherBart said:
earthharvester said:
I like the WWED

Well thats a “groovy” looking stove brotherB ............ %-P

Harley said:
Craig and Wrench:

Great... wipe out the Ash Can and now we have people walking around on egg shells. :zip:

Dylan said:
Forty to fifty of my posts were just deleted, Craig.

I have an image in my mind... Its Dylan, soaked in water in the Wizard of Oz...

I'm Melting... :bug:

-- Mike

Attachments

• photo5m.jpg
    photo5m.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 371
Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:
earthharvester said:
I like the WWED

- Cleanest burning mailbox ever tested by the EPA

- 70,000 BTU per hour output (can only burn for four minutes on a load of wood)

- Overnight burns of 12 to 15 hours depending on the amount of lumber in your house

- Also provides domestic hot water (just sit it under your water heater)

- Incorporates "Flash Fire" secondary combustion technology (anything within three feet combusts secondarily)

As to the original post, a local volunteer fire and rescue company heated their old firehall with one of those home brewed stoves up until this year when they got a new building. They sold the old heater at an auction.

Drumming up business I guess.

Attachments

• firehouse stove.jpg
    firehouse stove.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 393
BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:
earthharvester said:
I like the WWED

- Cleanest burning mailbox ever tested by the EPA

- 70,000 BTU per hour output (can only burn for four minutes on a load of wood)

- Overnight burns of 12 to 15 hours depending on the amount of lumber in your house

- Also provides domestic hot water (just sit it under your water heater)

- Incorporates "Flash Fire" secondary combustion technology (anything within three feet combusts secondarily)

Thought those things were fired by junk mail??? That seems to be a fairly low yield.

I dont think you guys are in Kansas anymore !

Dylan said:
Mike Wilson said:
Harley said:
Craig and Wrench:

Great... wipe out the Ash Can and now we have people walking around on egg shells. :zip:

Dylan said:

-- Mike

Heck yeah put that on a steel pole beside your mailbox. When the mail comes, just stuff the junkmail in it and light it. That way it doesn't take up room in the trash. LOL

Roospike said:
I dont think you guys are in Kansas anymore !

Dylan said:
Mike Wilson said:
Harley said:
Craig and Wrench:

Dylan said:

-- Mike

Nope... not walking on egg shells... just tring to be respectful of the older croud in the bunch.... :lol:

the way post are going recently, I'm not going to comment. I have nothing constructive to add ,and If you were trying to bait me into something it did not work

elkimmeg said:
the way post are going recently, I'm not going to comment. I have nothing constructive to add ,and If you were trying to bait me into something it did not work

Ain't it the truth Elk. Posts the last two weeks have been just plain weird.

CountryGal said:
That stove is "farr out!!"

Ok, just so you know, I have panty hose older than most of you on this forum. LOL!

It is "outta site" isn't it.

Oh, and those L'eggs last forever don't they? I love the panty hose line. Mine is "I have socks older than most of you.". Eerily similar.

stoveguy2esw said:
i dunno about elk (actually im sure i do and agree) , i looked at the article. thats insane! its illegal, and likely dangerous.

Back in the 70's and 80's Mike people built those water heater stoves by the thousands. They were actually a hell of a lot safer than many, many stoves on the market. I don't know if you have ever seen a "tin" stove. Ask Ron about'em. Every hardware store sold them. Those and barrel stoves heated a lot of houses. In fact a tin stove and later a barrel stove heated the basement of this joint for 15 years. Creosote in that flue was non-existent. In fact the clay flue tiles look like the day they came from the factory when I lined that flue this year. Hell, the suckers burned so hot creosote didn't have a prayer.

Like any solid fuel appliance the key was how you installed it and how you ran it.

Oh, and the Mother Earth News was the bible of wood burning back then. That and the bible of how to raise and eat weeds (not a vegitarian here).

BrotherBart said:
stoveguy2esw said:
i dunno about elk (actually im sure i do and agree) , i looked at the article. thats insane! its illegal, and likely dangerous.

Back in the 70's and 80's Mike people built those water heater stoves by the thousands. They were actually a hell of a lot safer than many, many stoves on the market. I don't know if you have ever seen a "tin" stove. Ask Ron about'em. Every hardware store sold them. Those and barrel stoves heated a lot of houses. In fact a tin stove and later a barrel stove heated the basement of this joint for 15 years. Creosote in that flue was non-existent. In fact the clay flue tiles look like the day they came from the factory when I lined that flue this year. Hell, the suckers burned so hot creosote didn't have a prayer.

Like any solid fuel appliance the key was how you installed it and how you ran it.

Oh, and the Mother Earth News was the bible of wood burning back then. That and the bible of how to raise and eat weeds (not a vegitarian here).

They have the barrels & the barrel stove kit(legs, door, stack adapter) in a harware store hear here. They are made by Voltzawhatever? (spelling, I know its wrong)
They even have a double barrel system. Maybe good for short times in the workshop. But I'll stick to my Summit for the house.

I had the double barrel stove. When I moved it out of the basement I put racks in the top barrel and smoked ribs that were to die for.

I still have a brand new door, flue collar and leg kit on a shelf in the garage. I laughed the other day at Tractor Supply when I saw that VZ now sells 55 gallon drums too. $69 bucks for a barrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.