1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevindauch

kevindauch New Member

Loc:
    Marcy NY
    I have a two part question. Is it a good idea to install a wye strainer in my system. If so then where should I locate it? On the supply side or on the return?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. steam man

steam man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Basically your protecting the circulator, so install it near the pump suction.

Mike
  3. in hot water

in hot water New Member

Loc:
    SW Missouri
    Not a bad idea, even on brand new systems it can help catch any debris or solder balls left behind :)

Another product is the Jomar Filter ball valve. It has a removal screen inside the ball. Fairly small capacity but nice for a start up runs. Operate the system for a day or so then remove the strainer and you still have an isolation valve.

www.jomar.com/products/pdf/Finished PDF - for review/T-100FB.pdf

On systems with old piping, radiators, boiler, etc consider a device like the Caleffi Dirtcal. It doesn't plug and cause flow restriction like a y strainer might. It can also do some air elimination and has a blow down valve included. Sort of 3 components in one.

Here is a link to it's features.

www.caleffi.us/caleffi/en_US/Site/P...s~news_detail_0000243/type/newshome/index.sdo

hr
  4. Ron Lloyd

Ron Lloyd New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
  5. kevindauch

kevindauch New Member

Loc:
    Marcy NY
    Thanks for the info. I already purchased a Spirovent air eliminator so I'll put a Wye strainer on the input side of the manifold.
  6. in hot water

in hot water New Member

Loc:
    SW Missouri
    They are sold through distribution. At the Caleffi website you can go to the dealer locator for your area.

While you are there download the free I-dronics series #1, 2 &3;. they are packed full of technical training and concepts.

hr
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.