X10 not cutting it any more - suggestions wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
I've had the X10 remote control system in my house for quite a few years, and it's worked well. That is, until I installed some surge suppressors, and a couple of electronic ballasts in the house. The suppressors seem to kill the signal on the line, since when I shut them off, things work okay. The ballasts must confuse the X10s, because various lights will turn themselves on at random when they are on, and inhibit signals even when the suppressors are off.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can use to replace the X10s? Whoever wired this house wasn't thinking in practical terms, so remote control of lighting is almost a must.

I just installed s few Leviton 'enocean' transmitters and receivers that have been working well. The nice thing here is that the transmitter (switch) is self powered by the switch action so no wires or batteries are needed on that side. Makes locating switches in an electric box or surface mount on the wall easy. They can also be configured in different ways for a single transmitter to power multiple receivers. Recievers are either gang mounted outlets or small units that tuck into the box. It's a little pricey but decent consumer-grade stuff.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response! I'm looking into the enoceans now - you're right, they're pricey, but if they work, it's worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.