X25 v X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Michigan
I want to get a friend a gift of a splitting axe.

You all seem to like the Fiskars line quite a bit -- I don't really hear another being discussed.

He's about 6 ft tall and weighs around 190#s. In good shape and understands splitting wood.

I was thinking to go with the X27, but would be happy to go with the smaller model if there was a reason to do so.

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I like the x27 a lot. The x25 seemed a bit short to me, and I'm not a tall guy. The x27 keeps the razor sharp edge away from my shins. Any Fiskars would be a great gift!

I am 6'2", have both, and the 36" is a way better fit.

I'm just short of 6"2 and can't figure out what that has to do with handle length. I like the short handle. What saves my shins is a chopping block.

That's easy. In general, taller folk prefer the longer handle on the X27. There are exceptions.

In fact, when the original Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (not the X25) was introduced at 28", it seemed to be very well liked, but taller folk clamored in forums and product reviews for a longer handle. Fiskars obliged.

Can taller folk learn to swing a 28" axe? Sure, but the these axes are tweeners--not quite the weight of a typical splitting maul yet not the shape of a standard chopping/felling axe. Some folks like to use their larger maul swing with these Fiskars axes, and some folks don't split on blocks.

X27, I don't know why you would ever want a shorter handled splitting tool unless it was hatchet sized and meant to be used one handed.

A chopping axe, possibly but for splitting, give me the longest handle you can. And I'm only 5'7''.

5'8" and love the 27. Stand a little further away. Much better leverage.

Thanks, everyone.

I couldn't find this at any of the local stores (and the Fiskars website is surprisingly little help locating a local retailer), so I ordered this online tonight through Amazon. FYI -- $47 and free shipping!

Just received my x25 last night. Haven't used it yet. Hope I didn't make a mistake. I am 55 yrs old with arthritis and 5'8" I was looking at the weight of it . You should see what I have been using. Shakes her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.