X25 vs X27 or Fiskars 8lb maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I know they say it has reduced vibration, but to what extent compared to other mauls I can't say. I know it has a great feel and you can swing all day. Unless you have one of each I couldn't tell you which is better. I just know that having the bash I will never buy another maul. Get both try them and then decide, can't hurt to have one of each.

Just ordered the fiskars maul, $52.03 and free 2day shipping with prime.
I love my X27, but I just scored a big old maple this year and the X27 just bounces off

Just ordered the fiskars maul, $52.03 and free 2day shipping with prime.
I love my X27, but I just scored a big old maple this year and the X27 just bounces off

There's always going to be some stuff that calls for either sledge'n'wedge or a hydraulic splitter.

Stuff that's just big you can get with a maul if you know how. Stuff that's big and crotchy- not so much.

After some side by side testing, I'm disappointed in the iso core maul.
the maul doesn't do anything better than the X27, and it is harder on me. It takes much more effort to lift and swing it, but the results seem equal.
the only thing that made me not send it back was how nice it is for driving wedges and beating rounds off the wedge on my splitter.
Turns out this maple is so tough it will stall the splitter