X27 finally arrived!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
It arrived today, being in the low 30's with 30-40 mph wind gusts seemed like a great time to try it out!
It cut like butter on some hardwood pieces about 15" or so across.....had some larger pine that is closer to 24" across and as I was hitting that it was so wet it was oozing.....did not split that well. Will it do better as the pine dries? 1st time using a axe and I actually had 0 overhits! All dead on! The wood that is 12-18" or so split with only a little more force then gravity. If I hit it to hard I buried the axe into the large Pine log I am using to split on. Love it so far.....did not stay out long with this weather though.....don't have to since I burn pellets! Thanks for turning me onto this great tool!

Jim

got my x27 for christmas...didnt really have anything in the yard to test it on...i have 3 nice oak logs laid up in the woods i am gonna go cut up on friday morning...then i will try the x27 out on them

my x27 should be waiting for me when I get home from work today. I'm excited to try it out. I've got a hydrolic splitter, but it's a huge production to get the tractor started, and get it hooked up to the splitter. I'm hoping to do the bulk of my splitting with the x27, and leave the tough pieces for the splitter. That's the plan, at least.

Mine just arrived in the mail yesterday. I'll be surely trying it out today some time. I dont use on all that often, but on scrounges it will help at times.

man i tried mine today...and wow..its awesome..cut red oak like butter..i know red oak is pretty easy but it was just as easy with the fiskars as my 8lb maul....

I wish my local ACE would do what they said and start carrying them. They have all the others and the other Fiskars tools, but no X27! I told them I would by one if they brought in 2. This would be a sale and one for stock. I understand the supply demand stuff, they don't want anything sitting on the shelf, ETC. ETC. I would buy one if it were sitting on the shelf.

I doubt very much that you will be dissapointed with the X27. I have posted before about this fine tool. Use it as it was designed and intended for and keep the edge sharp! I have split everything easily with it except for the dreaded American Elm, which is very tough going.

With it being close to 50 here yesterday I cut up all my rounds. My pile is @ 4' high and a good 12-15' long! Only trouble I am having is some real wet and knotty pine. These rounds are also bigger. When I take a swing at them, the axe goes in and moisture oozes right out! Guess I will have to wait for it to dry, maybe spring. Most of the rounds (I will have to take a few pics to get help identifying) split with one maybe 2 hits! Great 1st axe! I will be showing off to the neighbors who use the wedge and mauls!

Jim

ACE said it would be April before they get them in. I explained most guys were getting them on line. ACE claimed they couldn't even special order one. All this is ok with me as I have many other things on the list. I want to give one a swing first.

Here are some pics of what I was able to do in about an hour and a half, taking my time and restacking because most of what I wanted to split was on the bottom of the pile. I went over to my neighbors just few minutes ago and he looked at the axe and seemed impressed. I told him all the wood we scrounged at the same location I was able to split with one swing, every once in awhile 2 if I was getting lazy! LOL I am not sure what the wood is that I split. On the end you can see some rather large rounds of pine that are way wet to cut. Great tool!

Attachments

• wood pile 1.jpg
    wood pile 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 372
  • wood pile 2.jpg
    wood pile 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 378
  • wood pile 4.jpg
    wood pile 4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 344
My wife got me the x27 for chrismas. Tied it that morning on some bigger splits that were already dry and it was AWESOME! I just tried it today after cutting some green 10" dia rounds and it was the same, UNBELIEVABE! FYI I am 6' 3" and don't have a ton of weight behind my swing. I have used a mual and axe as much as the next guy, but this thing blows it out of the water. It was worth every penny she spent on it. If it keeps up to the task I might thave to pass it on to the first born. I looked at the package and saw that Fiskars is a WI company. I realize this thing is an import, but the closer to home the better for me.

PS I tried my brother's short handle power gear loppers at dear camp and the same reaction.

RNLA said:
ACE said it would be April before they get them in. I explained most guys were getting them on line. ACE claimed they couldn't even special order one. All this is ok with me as I have many other things on the list. I want to give one a swing first.

My wife oredered mine off of HomeDepot.com. 50 or so dollar with free shipping. I was leery about swing it first. Don't worry. you will not be disapointed.

"The dreaded American Elm" I agree with this. I went into battle against some Elm on Saturday with my x27, and the elm won. I gave up, and will leave the elm until the next time I get the hydrolic splitter going.

On non-elm, the x27 worked as good as advertised. Unfortunately, most of what I have to split right now is Elm.

I have been so happy with my older style Super Splitter and the lighter Pro Splitter, but I guess I should have one of these too. I don't know if I could relearn how to work with such a long handle though. Glad you guys are so happy with 'em. The Fishars splitting tools are a whole new way of doing things. Not a maul or an axe.

These Fiskars are a godsend. It took me two to three days to split through a full load with my maul last year, and they were long painful few days.
The day I got my x27, I split 3/4 of a load inside 2 hours, and it was an absolute blast.
Sure, Elm is tough, but I could blow through even the nasty knotty pieces inside of a few long minutes. It just took the same oomph I had to use with my Maul on most other pieces.
I can't wait to put this thing through the paces this year.

Well, I finally got to play with the X27 yesterday. WOW, quite impressive. We had some big pieces of leftover Hedge that would be helped if it where split before being loaded. It took some work, but we split what was splitable. Thanks for the advise on a great tool

Status
Not open for further replies.