X27 Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear that no store within 50 miles of me has one..

It appears that they have updated their site to allow you to purchase the item, but upon further inspection, they claim to be 'Out of Stock'. Well, that was a sham.

Well... went ahead and placed an order.. just have to see what happens..

I spoke with someone at Fiskars yesterday about the X27.

She said that Fiskars, here in the United States, just recently got a shipment of the axes from Finland.

She also said they've been shipped to the Ace Hardware "warehouse" and that they should start to be distributed to the various stores now.

As far as Amazon goes, Fiskars still doesn't even have an order from them yet. So no idea when they'll be available from Amazon.

Good news for all Canadians! I did the online chat with a Fiskars rep and asked if the X27 will be sold in Canada. I was told "yes" and that Canadian Tire will be the distributor! Also, I was told the X27 is made in Finland, as with all their other axes.

It seems that they have dropped the "Pro Splitting Axe" from the line. I bought one in the fall and used it the first time last week. I thought it was awesome for easy splitting Black Locust. Splitting 16"-20"rounds was like child's play with very little effort. After using it for an hour or so, my "Super Splitting Axe" felt heavy.
I don't know if I could re learn how to work with a long handled maul anyway.

Flatbedford said:
It seems that they have dropped the "Pro Splitting Axe" from the line. I bought one in the fall and used it the first time last week. I thought it was awesome for easy splitting Black Locust. Splitting 16"-20"rounds was like child's play with very little effort. After using it for an hour or so, my "Super Splitting Axe" felt heavy.
I don't know if I could re learn how to work with a long handled maul anyway.

Now, I am a rookie, but would a 4lbs head be considered a maul. This is, as far as I can tell, the same as the other splitting axes, just with a longer handle. I think total weight of this axe is 6lbs. It does have the angled out head to 'accelerate' the wood apart.

The Fiskars splitting tools are sort of like axe/maul hybrids. Lighter and sharper than a maul, but heavier and wider than an axe. A very different tool from a maul. Some might even say a better tool than a maul.

Flatbedford said:
The Fiskars splitting tools are sort of like axe/maul hybrids. Lighter and sharper than a maul, but heavier and wider than an axe. A very different tool from a maul. Some might even say a better tool than a maul.

It's a "Max"..lol I have a buddy with the lighter pro splitter, we were goofing a couple weeks ago, and I one handed a bunch of splits.. I had him rolling when I told him.. (World of Warcraft reference here) that I felt I could "Duel Wield" no problem, and reduce my splitting time by at least 30%..

(I know you think that should be 50%, but any real geek WoW player can tell you the damage tables don't work that way, lol)

Bottoms up gents.I just got back from my local ACE hardware with my X27.It's a beautiful axe.Can't wait to use it.It's just that my two cords of rounds is under two feet of very stiff snow which I'm not in the mood to deal with at this time.The axe cost me $49.99 plus tax.That's a good price.The best from the quotes I've heard.Ya order from ACE for the best deal so far.Ok I'm off to look at my new toy.

Rich L said:
Bottoms up gents.I just got back from my local ACE hardware with my X27.It's a beautiful axe.Can't wait to use it.It's just that my two cords of rounds is under two feet of very stiff snow which I'm not in the mood to deal with at this time.The axe cost me $49.99 plus tax.That's a good price.The best from the quotes I've heard.Ya order from ACE for the best deal so far.Ok I'm off to look at my new toy.

Congratulations! You're the first person I have heard of to get one.

I'm looking forward to it also.

Let us know how is works for you, if you would.

grrr. Talked to Fiskars last week, and they told me they wouldn't be shipping till late feb/early march. So I went ahead and bought the 28". Which is freakin' awesome, btw. Kicks the crap out of my 6# maul. I mean, it's night and day. I'm now a fanboy. That said, I'm 6'3", and the short handle hasn't been an issue at all. I'd like to use both side by side, but for now, I'll stick with the original...Even if I had the long handle, I'd still chop this on a block, since my strikes now go straight through the split and bury in the block a lot of time.

EDIT: I think. Now I'm waffling. Maybe I'd be better with the longer version? I just got it yesterday, could return to amazon. Sorry to clog the forums, but my wife cares very little for my dilemma.

nola mike said:
grrr. Talked to Fiskars last week, and they told me they wouldn't be shipping till late feb/early march. So I went ahead and bought the 28". Which is freakin' awesome, btw. Kicks the crap out of my 6# maul. I mean, it's night and day. I'm now a fanboy. That said, I'm 6'3", and the short handle hasn't been an issue at all. I'd like to use both side by side, but for now, I'll stick with the original...Even if I had the long handle, I'd still chop this on a block, since my strikes now go straight through the split and bury in the block a lot of time.

EDIT: I think. Now I'm waffling. Maybe I'd be better with the longer version? I just got it yesterday, could return to amazon. Sorry to clog the forums, but my wife cares very little for my dilemma.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the eye rolling when talking about an axe dilemma. :) I recently purchased the 28" and I'm 6'1". I LOVE it, but I figure I'm a man and having 'toys' is expected. I'll be driving to ACE on my lunch break. :D

brianbeech said:
Yes, I'm very familiar with the eye rolling when talking about an axe dilemma. :) I recently purchased the 28" and I'm 6'1". I LOVE it, but I figure I'm a man and having 'toys' is expected. I'll be driving to ACE on my lunch break. :D

Sadly, it doesn't apply strictly to axes. Though I do the same when she starts talking about the bachelor or whatever. Please let us know how they compare.

Went to Ace during my lunch and saw not one product with the Fiskars brand on it. Why must I live by the Ace that doesn't carry them?

brianbeech said:
Went to Ace during my lunch and saw not one product with the Fiskars brand on it. Why must I live by the Ace that doesn't carry them?

called the other store and heard: "we got some axes here but I don't know what kind, maybe Ace brand". I love good customer service.

Hey you tall and not so tall gents will love this axe.I'm 6'2"and the length is just right.I must say by the time I get around to using the axe you all will have your own.I'm not shoveling anytime soon to get to next years wood plus another 6-10 inches is due starting tonight.I ordered the axe at the end of December after the ACE man said the axe would be in Jan.17th.So he missed by several days but the wait was worth it.Place your order the axe is in the states and probably at many of the ACE warehouses by now.

Rich L said:
Hey you tall and not so tall gents will love this axe.I'm 6'2"and the length is just right.I must say by the time I get around to using the axe you all will have your own.I'm not shoveling anytime soon to get to next years wood plus another 6-10 inches is due starting tonight.I ordered the axe at the end of December after the ACE man said the axe would be in Jan.17th.So he missed by several days but the wait was worth it.Place your order the axe is in the states and probably at many of the ACE warehouses by now.

I'm in!

Rich, where in Eastern Mass are you? I'm in Middleboro.

A guy on arboristsite posted that he handled one in the store and it just felt awkward with the long handle. He said he isn't going to be wasting any money on one...

I'd be interested to hear first-hand experiences of people actually using one.

It would especially be nice if that person has used the 28" version before.

My brother ordered his from Ace today, hopefully it'll come in soon. I'll be going home to visit in a few weeks and I can give a report then.

I would like to try one. I am a traditional 8# wood handle maul guy. I have found very little that can not be done with it and I don't get tired most of the time. I tried a short handle Fiskars and didn't think much of it. It seemed like a novelty item, for real straight grain wood. Most of the wood I split is messed up, if I can't get it with the maul then I get the splitter... :gulp:

Spikem said:
Rich L said:

I'm in!

Rich, where in Eastern Mass are you? I'm in Middleboro.

Hi neighbor I'm in Medford,north of Boston.I placed my order at Shattuck Hardware in Arlington my closest ACE hardware.

Good news for Canadians. I actually just chatted with a rep and she said the X27 was shipped out to Canadian Tire Warehouses just yesterday. Should be seeing them on the shelves within a couple of weeks. Can't wait to try one out finally.

CountryBoy19 said:
A guy on arboristsite posted that he handled one in the store and it just felt awkward with the long handle. He said he isn't going to be wasting any money on one...

I'd be interested to hear first-hand experiences of people actually using one.

It would especially be nice if that person has used the 28" version before.

My brother ordered his from Ace today, hopefully it'll come in soon. I'll be going home to visit in a few weeks and I can give a report then.

I guess an axe is like coffee.Some like Dunkins some like starbucks and some like me like neither especially after having original Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.However as soon as I picked up the axe I knew it was special.I'm very excited about this axe,awkward for some nicer than I could have imagine for me.The handle was somewhat slippery but should be fine when wearing my gloves.The balance is excellent for me.The thing looked like a work of art almost to pretty to use.Some say their Fiskars goes thru the round and the chopping block and one said it hit his boot.That type of thing is why I always split with my feet apart in case you miss the round due to fatigue or sweat getting into your eyes the axe will swing between your legs and not into them.

Rich L said:
Some say their Fiskars goes thru the round and the chopping block and one said it hit his boot.That type of thing is why I always split with my feet apart in case you miss the round due to fatigue or sweat getting into your eyes the axe will swing between your legs and not into them.

Another good reason to get in the habit of wearing steel toes. I wear a pair of Dunlop Puroforts in the winter... the Ultimate Splitting Boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.