X27 Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dakotas Dad said:
Flatbedford said:
The Fiskars splitting tools are sort of like axe/maul hybrids. Lighter and sharper than a maul, but heavier and wider than an axe. A very different tool from a maul. Some might even say a better tool than a maul.

It's a "Max"..lol I have a buddy with the lighter pro splitter, we were goofing a couple weeks ago, and I one handed a bunch of splits.. I had him rolling when I told him.. (World of Warcraft reference here) that I felt I could "Duel Wield" no problem, and reduce my splitting time by at least 30%..

(I know you think that should be 50%, but any real geek WoW player can tell you the damage tables don't work that way, lol)

Absolutely LOVE the WoW reference, Used to play pretty hard, but that was before house, wife, kids, career, wood boiler.....etc... Man I miss WoW. I wonder how many others on here got that reference. You think using the X27 will add anything to chance to Critical strike????

kiel said:
Dakotas Dad said:
Flatbedford said:
The Fiskars splitting tools are sort of like axe/maul hybrids. Lighter and sharper than a maul, but heavier and wider than an axe. A very different tool from a maul. Some might even say a better tool than a maul.

It's a "Max"..lol I have a buddy with the lighter pro splitter, we were goofing a couple weeks ago, and I one handed a bunch of splits.. I had him rolling when I told him.. (World of Warcraft reference here) that I felt I could "Duel Wield" no problem, and reduce my splitting time by at least 30%..

(I know you think that should be 50%, but any real geek WoW player can tell you the damage tables don't work that way, lol)

Absolutely LOVE the WoW reference, Used to play pretty hard, but that was before house, wife, kids, career, wood boiler.....etc... Man I miss WoW. I wonder how many others on here got that reference. You think using the X27 will add anything to chance to Critical strike????

Nah.. I figure it will bump the DPS, for better crit, need an enchant... "enchant weapon-greater accuracy" increase crit strike by 25.. Is a fun game, but alas, I have let my sub. lapse, to busy to raid...

I called a local Ace and asked if they had the Fiskars X27 in the stock. The kid put me on hold after a few minutes came back and said "no, all we have are regular splitters". Guess I'll just need to stop by the store and order one...

I too would like to hear some feedback from guys that have used the 28" version and the 36". I'm 6' 2" so I'm definitely leaning towards the 36" which is similar size to my current maul that I just broke.

project240 said:
Rich L said:
Some say their Fiskars goes thru the round and the chopping block and one said it hit his boot.That type of thing is why I always split with my feet apart in case you miss the round due to fatigue or sweat getting into your eyes the axe will swing between your legs and not into them.

Another good reason to get in the habit of wearing steel toes. I wear a pair of Dunlop Puroforts in the winter... the Ultimate Splitting Boot...

Thanks for the info.I've never used steel toe boots and I think it's time to check some out.That ultimate splitting boot sounds interesting.I'll start there and hopefully their winter warm.

I just got this reply back from Fiskars customer service:

Thank you for your inquiry about our new X27, 36" splitting axe. This axe will begin shipping to retailers in February: USA: Menards, ACE Hardware and Amazon.com CANADA: Canadian Tire As of 1/17, the axe has shipped to ACE Warehouse Online only

Rich L said:
project240 said:
Rich L said:
Some say their Fiskars goes thru the round and the chopping block and one said it hit his boot.That type of thing is why I always split with my feet apart in case you miss the round due to fatigue or sweat getting into your eyes the axe will swing between your legs and not into them.

Another good reason to get in the habit of wearing steel toes. I wear a pair of Dunlop Puroforts in the winter... the Ultimate Splitting Boot...

Thanks for the info.I've never used steel toe boots and I think it's time to check some out.That ultimate splitting boot sounds interesting.I'll start there and hopefully their winter warm.

I'm a union electrician so I'm a steel toe boot guy monday thru friday. But the go on also when cutting, almost more for convenience but also for safety. It's like having a nice lever or block that you can set decent sized logs on when cutting your rounds from your longer pieces. Pieces of course that are manageable enough to move. I set them on my steel toe, rip off a round then kinda hop the log along and keep going. Works great!

Rich L said:
project240 said:
Rich L said:

They are good down to -40 C. I always wear them trekking through the snow and they keep my feet warm and dry, plus they are much more comfortable than regular steel toes.

project240 said:
Rich L said:
project240 said:
Rich L said:

They are good down to -40 C. I always wear them trekking through the snow and they keep my feet warm and dry, plus they are much more comfortable than regular steel toes.

What's 40c in farenheit terms ?

-40°C = -40°F

Received my new X27 on Friday from local ace store. Have not used it but a family member has and he said it is awesome and well worth the $50. And he has been using the 28" splitting axe for over a year now.

He wants to keep it and buy me a new one.

If only we could get one of these in quads hands now.

southbound said:
As soon as I can I will get and see what it does.....

I want to run it against the Helko's I have....

I've been holding out for the big helko for over 6 months now. If hartville would ever get the 2300g I'd get it, but now that the x27 is out (or soon will be) I dont think I can wait! Its down to which will be in stock locally first...

Garnification said:
Received my new X27 on Friday from local ace store. Have not used it but a family member has and he said it is awesome and well worth the $50. And he has been using the 28" splitting axe for over a year now.

He wants to keep it and buy me a new one.

If only we could get one of these in quads hands now.

Man your family must be real tight.I'm not lending mine to family or not I'll never get it back.I'd get one excuse after another though I'll point them in the right direction to get one.Well your family member is the only one I've heard from that has used the axe and the results don't surprise me.

Stopped at Ace today and checked out the Fiskars splitters. They had one that had the #7854 which I think is the X-25 with a 28" handle. Is the X-27 that much better with the longer handle? I just measured the one that I have and it was 26" to the bottom of the head. Is that the X-25?
Doug

It is interesting that they say they are shipping to Menard's. My local store was carrying Fiskar's and I kept meaning to pick one up and then suddenly they were gone.

wendell said:
It is interesting that they say they are shipping to Menard's. My local store was carrying Fiskar's and I kept meaning to pick one up and then suddenly they were gone.
I was in Menards today and couldn't find any Fiskars at all.

I'm not sure what happened. I was there one week and they had a whole rack of them and several weeks later, they were all gone. Never saw them at a clearance price. They just seemed to suddenly disappear.

Mastercraft happened. I asked my account rep. They quit handling Fiskars for there own brand. At least that's what I was told. Some of the Mastercraft tools are top shelf. The splitting axes/mauls are good quality but not Fiskars.
Doug

That makes sense. Still wonder what they did with the ones they already had in stock.

djblech said:
Stopped at Ace today and checked out the Fiskars splitters. They had one that had the #7854 which I think is the X-25 with a 28" handle. Is the X-27 that much better with the longer handle? I just measured the one that I have and it was 26" to the bottom of the head. Is that the X-25?
Doug

Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe (28") = #7854 (formerly known as the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe 28")

Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe (36") = #7884

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking

Just picked up by X27 from Ace during my lunch break. Will break it in when I get home today and post my thoughts.

I've been using a somewhat similar designed Atlas splitting maul (http://milo.com/atlas-tools-premium-log-splitter-with-fiberglass-handle) lately but just recently broke the head from hammering the back of the head like a wedge with a sledgehammer. I guess the Atlas is not designed for doing that but the x27 is?

Jutt77 said:
Just picked up by X27 from Ace during my lunch break. Will break it in when I get home today and post my thoughts.

I've been using a somewhat similar designed Atlas splitting maul (http://milo.com/atlas-tools-premium-log-splitter-with-fiberglass-handle) lately but just recently broke the head from hammering the back of the head like a wedge with a sledgehammer. I guess the Atlas is not designed for doing that but the x27 is?

You never want to do that.

Use the sledge with a wedge.

I agree, you never want to hit the back of the striking tool. Only hit on the struck by tool. If you use mechanics tools they are classified this way, striking tool and struck by tools. This description may be a little hard to understand but if you want to keep the new X27 going you'll consider what I am saying! :)

I picked my X27 up today and proceeded to split around 15 green Cottonwood logs anywhere from 8 to 20 inches in diameter. Compared to my previous maul (Atlas 12304) both are similar in weight with the X27's head being slightly lighter. Both are similar in length with the X27 being a few inches longer. Both split somewhat similar as well since the Atlas head has the same kind of wedge design although the Fiskars "wedges" cover more area and thus seems to split a bit more efficiently.

The biggest difference between the Atlas and the X27 though is the Fiskars handle. It absorbs vibration MUCH better than the Atlas' fiberglass handle which means that my elbow and shoulder took a LOT less abuse than usual. Another big plus of the Fiskars is that the head does not stick in the wood like the Atlas would. It either 1) splits or 2) dents the surface. With the Atlas, I would spend most of my wood splittin' time fighting, cussing and pulling the stuck head from the wood. I think a combination of the increased surface area of the X27's wedge design and the Teflon like coating really helps to prevent sticking. That said, I was able to split 50-75% more wood with the X27 in the same amount of time. Time will tell if anti-stick attribute will remain once the Teflon-like coating wears off.

I'm 6'2" and the length was perfect. I never felt threatened by the possibility of the blade striking my toe. It just wouldn't be physically possible with how I swing, the length of the maul and my stance. I did however find the handle to be a bit slick. I'll probably add some grip tape to the base of the handle.

Pros:
- Splits like a champ
- Well designed/engineered
- Head doesn't stick in wood
- Vibration absorbing handle works extremely well
- Made in Finland
- Overall a very high quality tool
- Great value

Cons:
- the non-stick coating on the head will eventually wear off
- Handle is a bit slick

Status