XL 123???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
So I got some coffee and some doughnuts for the guys at the sthil shop in town to show my appreciation for all the help they have given me.. Well we start talking and I spot a homie under the bench.. I was told it got dropped off and they had no idea what was wrong.. So they pull it out and we try to get it to fire off with no luck.. Seems there is no spark and with them not wanting to mess with it they gave it to me....

Attachments

• DSC04404 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04404 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC04405 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04405 (Medium).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC04409 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04409 (Medium).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC04416 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04416 (Medium).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC04424 (Medium).jpg
    DSC04424 (Medium).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 197
That brings back memories. I had one of those for a while. I ran a tree service and somebody gave me that saw too.
Homelight made an XL12 also. That was a real workhorse had a pump oiler and was boxier than the 123. Solid aluminum front hand grip.
Any way, My 123 stayed in the tool box and took up room. Back then McCulough and Homelight were the go to saws. They were commercial saws. The 123 was one of the "bad day" deals that companies fall prey to every once in a while. If you play with it and get it going great, but, IMHO I wouldn't get to hung up on it. If it was an XL12 and you wanted a good cutting saw (and some numb hands, LOL ) I would encourage you to put more effort into getting it going.
Good Time Memories... Thankyou....

And that is one loud little bastage to boot. I don't think I would drop any cabbage on getting that going. If you can do it by messing with it - it could be fun. Check the kill switch for proper operation and make sure that the ignition wires aren't grounded somewhere. Those things liked to vibrate and could literally rub the insulation off of wires.

Just something to play with.... I thought when I order the Nova 2 for the 031 on my bench I would get two and see If I can't get spark...

Parts on the bay seem cheap too as no one is working on these saws....

Status
Not open for further replies.