XXV Buzzing distribution fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twodogs02

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
plus.google.com
Been reading some old posts from 2006 about a buzzing sound with distribution blower. This is what I have but I'm sure Harman changed things since correcting the 2006 problem with a clamp.

Called dealer, he said about a week or two before he could get out to diagnose problem. It's definitely the distribution blower, starts to emit a buzzing sound 10-20 minutes after it gets up to temperature.

I took the rear panels off but because it's a corner install with minimum clearances it's hard to get in there far enough to figure out which side has the problem. Limiting access further is the top vent option. Adding to all this, it's only 48 outside so to get the stove up to temp for a while makes the house too warm.

This is my second season with it. Blew out the squirrel cages when I did the season ending tear down in May and both sides look clean.

Last edited:
Just installed my XXV in October 2014. Loved how quiet it was and the warmth it put out. After two weeks of playing around with settings, finally got it working the way I wanted for the ambient conditions. Then it started....the buzzing. As you indicated, after the stove came up to temp, and the distribution blower to HI. Played around with the four screws that held it to the base of the stove. Worked for a while, but as the temperature of the stove changed, the buzzing came back. The solution.....remove the fan assembly from the stove and apply 3/4" electrical tape to the edges of the blower housing (where it fits up inside behind the heat exchanger panel) Also applied tape to the mating edge in the stove. Take a length of tape, fold it over the edge so both sides are covered. This has worked for me, and this area of the stove does not see extreme heat, the tape is safe, and the stove is quiet once again.

Use sound dampening washers on the bolts. Worked like a charm on my xxv

I'll pick some fiber washers up on the way home tonight.

I set the regulator to 20 psi and kept the nozzle at a good distance since the fins are thin. I don't think that is it or it would have surfaced before now since I've been burning since early October. Also, only happens when stove is up to temp, a bent fan blade is bent whether stove is at 50 degrees or 250 degrees

I set the regulator to 20 psi and kept the nozzle at a good distance since the fins are thin.
Even more likely that you created an imbalance then. Might have gotten some of the fan clean but not all of it. Only way to be sure you have a balanced fan is to balance it after cleaning.

I don't think that is it or it would have surfaced before now since I've been burning since early October.
I wasn't aware that you have been burning for some time since cleaning the blower.

Also, only happens when stove is up to temp, a bent fan blade is bent whether stove is at 50 degrees or 250 degrees
Correct but the distribution blower won't run when fan is at 50 degrees.

Whatever the case may be, keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.