XXV - Hazy glass...pics inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
I've just cleaned my stove today and I noticed a haze on the top middle portion of the glass (see pic) that will not come off. I have noticed this the last week when I cleaned it, but I thought that I just missed a spot, since it has grown. I have tried to use windex and a towel to clean it off, nothing. I have noticed that with the O'Malleys I'm burning (which my dealer gave me a ton for free) the fire will start to "kiss" this portion of the window.

Is the haze normal? How do I remove it?

Also, in the other picture, I'm starting to see some discoloration in the metal...is this normal? Any remedies?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00355.jpg
    DSC00355.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 643
thats a normal burn pattern for a long period of time, you might need an abrasive cleaner. You also might need to clean the glass more often

Try a Magic Eraser, or a wet paper towel dipped in the stove ashes.

My XXV does the same thing...just clean the glass (when cool) with a wet paper towel.
If you want to get fancy, glass cleaners specifically for wood/pellet etc. stoves (high temperature glass) are available.

" white off " by rutland products should take care of it for you.. It works gr8 on mineral deposits on gas units, and that appears to be what you have going on w/ your stove.

The Rutland White-Off product is exactly the same as the paste that is
sold for cleaning ceramic cook tops.
It works - to some extent - on woodstoves, but it's primarily used for
the glass on gas appliances.
I've had better luck with an extra-fine autobody rubbing compound...
YMMV...

Careful with ammonia based products as I believe that it can etch ceramic glass. I have never had a spot that would not come off with just a wet paper towel and some stove ash.

moralleper said:
Careful with ammonia based products as I believe that it can etch ceramic glass. I have never had a spot that would not come off with just a wet paper towel and some stove ash.

Another vote for paper towel and stove ash, works great for anything I have had on my glass.....

Try a Magic Eraser, or a wet paper towel dipped in the stove ashes

Thanks for the great input, worked like a charm.

Thanks everyone for the input, I had a miniature heart attack when I saw this thing and it wasnt coming off...I treat this stove like my baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.