1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatman-68

goatman-68 Member

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    Hello all,
    I am looking at buying a pure sine wave inverter for my XXV and am wondering what the (minimum) watt rating is for one of these stoves. I am thinking 600 watt continuous should do it. I will then couple that with one of the Optima batteries.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    I think I saw in the XXV manual 440 Watts, so even if this didn't include during ignition, you should be good with the 600w inverter. My Advance requires 340 watts with a maximum of 480 watts.
  3. kofkorn

kofkorn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    I'm thinking that's going to be a pretty expensive setup for a short time, am I wrong?? Let's say that like codebum says, you're drawing 340 watts continuous; that's about 30 amps coming off of your battery (assuming a 100% efficiency on your inverter)

Based on what I can see most batteries are at about a 50 Amp-hour rating. You're going to hook up a $300 inverter to an $80 battery for under two hours of use?

Am I missing something here? I thought that most gas generators created a pure sine wave signal due to the nature of the generator itself. I can understand inverters creating a square wave because of the logic controls. Are you just using this for quick outages?

I'm just asking to try to understand.

Thanks!
  4. goatman-68

goatman-68 Member

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    Our power grid where I am (rural) frequently goes out for no reason. I have an alarm system that also has smoke detectors, so if I leave this thing run while we are at work and power goes out, fire dept. comes to house. That is why i would like something. I have no natural draft since my pipe goes straight out the side of the house. I do have a generator, but not auto switching.

I may be missing something also, since my dealer sells the SEC inverter 700 watt with a little, what looked like a garden tractor battery that is supposed to give around 8 hours of operation. So I figured if i buy one of the Optima sealed car batteries that should last for 12 plus hours.

Any other input welcome............................
  5. goatman-68

goatman-68 Member

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    Well its the 2009 heating season and i'm ready to finally hook up my battery backup with Optima deep cycle battery. Here are a couple photos of the setup. Looking back, I should have bought an inverter with built in charger and transfer switch. The setup I ended up with is bulky, but it will be on a wall that won't be out in the open.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.