XXV INVERTER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goatman-68

Nov 30, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Hello all,
I am looking at buying a pure sine wave inverter for my XXV and am wondering what the (minimum) watt rating is for one of these stoves. I am thinking 600 watt continuous should do it. I will then couple that with one of the Optima batteries.

I think I saw in the XXV manual 440 Watts, so even if this didn't include during ignition, you should be good with the 600w inverter. My Advance requires 340 watts with a maximum of 480 watts.

I'm thinking that's going to be a pretty expensive setup for a short time, am I wrong?? Let's say that like codebum says, you're drawing 340 watts continuous; that's about 30 amps coming off of your battery (assuming a 100% efficiency on your inverter)

Based on what I can see most batteries are at about a 50 Amp-hour rating. You're going to hook up a $300 inverter to an $80 battery for under two hours of use?

Am I missing something here? I thought that most gas generators created a pure sine wave signal due to the nature of the generator itself. I can understand inverters creating a square wave because of the logic controls. Are you just using this for quick outages?

I'm just asking to try to understand.

Thanks!

kofkorn said:
I'm thinking that's going to be a pretty expensive setup for a short time, am I wrong?? Let's say that like codebum says, you're drawing 340 watts continuous; that's about 30 amps coming off of your battery (assuming a 100% efficiency on your inverter)

Based on what I can see most batteries are at about a 50 Amp-hour rating. You're going to hook up a $300 inverter to an $80 battery for under two hours of use?

Am I missing something here? I thought that most gas generators created a pure sine wave signal due to the nature of the generator itself. I can understand inverters creating a square wave because of the logic controls. Are you just using this for quick outages?

I'm just asking to try to understand.

Thanks!

Our power grid where I am (rural) frequently goes out for no reason. I have an alarm system that also has smoke detectors, so if I leave this thing run while we are at work and power goes out, fire dept. comes to house. That is why i would like something. I have no natural draft since my pipe goes straight out the side of the house. I do have a generator, but not auto switching.

I may be missing something also, since my dealer sells the SEC inverter 700 watt with a little, what looked like a garden tractor battery that is supposed to give around 8 hours of operation. So I figured if i buy one of the Optima sealed car batteries that should last for 12 plus hours.

Any other input welcome............................

Well its the 2009 heating season and i'm ready to finally hook up my battery backup with Optima deep cycle battery. Here are a couple photos of the setup. Looking back, I should have bought an inverter with built in charger and transfer switch. The setup I ended up with is bulky, but it will be on a wall that won't be out in the open.

Attachments

• DSC00060 [1024x768].JPG
    DSC00060 [1024x768].JPG
    93 KB · Views: 319
  • iota%20transfer%20switch.jpg
    iota%20transfer%20switch.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.