1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

XXV orange stains on inside of glass

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by chris288, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marylu

marylu New Member

Loc:
    Southwest Wisconsin
    I usually just pop the door open and quickly wipe the window with paper towel about once a day. (Sometimes will use a little ash on the paper towel if window is dirtier than usual) Comes right off. When I shut down and do my weekly cleaning, I use Windex on the cold glass to really clean it up. So far no problems. I think the trick is to not let it get real dirty before cleaning.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    If you are getting a sticky residue on the glass it generally means your stove is getting too much combustion air...
  3. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeast Oh
    We call it glass but it isnt really glass its a ceramic material. I use a wet paper towel on mine when it cools off and that works perfectly. The window is clear and clean.
  4. The Radiator

The Radiator Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    When I had burnt the Dry Creek pellets my stove had the orange stuff on the glass. Very hard to get off. I usually clean with regular glass cleaner, but the orange stuff wouldn't come off. I think I had some spray glass cleaner with a bit of ammonia that foam's and that took it off with a little elbow grease. I didn't care for the Dry Creek pellets too much. The heat was ok, they burnt with a real orange flame. Made a mess of the glass. Ash was not too bad. Try switching pellets and you will have better luck.
  5. nhdblfan

nhdblfan Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Been using just a wet paper towel as well when I do a major clean which is about once very two or three weeks .It last about two days then gets pretty dirty after that.
  6. pete324rocket

pete324rocket Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    albert county, new brunswick
    ASHES! and a wet rag. u guys must have lots of money to waste........
  7. Boom

Boom Member

Loc:
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Do you really tap the ceramic glass with a hammer or do you just mean the metal components? :bug:
  8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Boom that wasn't what Taperbill was talking about as far as the "glass" was concerned but the back (metal) of the fire box, even there hammer taping can cause trouble. A cast baffle or back can be permanently broken that way. One should never hit their heat exchanger tubes with anything.
  9. MARK WHITTAKER

MARK WHITTAKER New Member

finally i'm back , I may not be making myself clear- it's just the reflective coating on the outside that i'd like to get rid of, I wonder if anyone knows if a chemical will remove it from the outside - or if it has to be removed by an abrasive (again, this isn't dirt it's a reflective coating )
    I did check on a price for new glass- $174.00 which seems a little steep.
  10. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    you can get the replacement glass for the accentra insert and it'll fit right into the XXV, and it has no metalized coating. I dont know how you could remove it....except maybe acid, but i've never tried it.
  11. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont

Does it Scratch that easily?

How about removingthe glass and maybe some rubbing compound and a buffer? Just throwing this out there!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.