Not open for further replies.
  1. marylu

marylu
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2006
    Loc:
    Southwest Wisconsin
    I usually just pop the door open and quickly wipe the window with paper towel about once a day. (Sometimes will use a little ash on the paper towel if window is dirtier than usual) Comes right off. When I shut down and do my weekly cleaning, I use Windex on the cold glass to really clean it up. So far no problems. I think the trick is to not let it get real dirty before cleaning.

2. krooser

krooser
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    If you are getting a sticky residue on the glass it generally means your stove is getting too much combustion air...

3. Nicholas440

Nicholas440
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Northeast Oh
    We call it glass but it isnt really glass its a ceramic material. I use a wet paper towel on mine when it cools off and that works perfectly. The window is clear and clean.

4. The Radiator

The Radiator
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2010
    Loc:
    Central CT
    When I had burnt the Dry Creek pellets my stove had the orange stuff on the glass. Very hard to get off. I usually clean with regular glass cleaner, but the orange stuff wouldn't come off. I think I had some spray glass cleaner with a bit of ammonia that foam's and that took it off with a little elbow grease. I didn't care for the Dry Creek pellets too much. The heat was ok, they burnt with a real orange flame. Made a mess of the glass. Ash was not too bad. Try switching pellets and you will have better luck.

5. nhdblfan

nhdblfan
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NH
    Been using just a wet paper towel as well when I do a major clean which is about once very two or three weeks .It last about two days then gets pretty dirty after that.

6. pete324rocket

pete324rocket
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 11, 2007
    Loc:
    albert county, new brunswick
    ASHES! and a wet rag. u guys must have lots of money to waste........

7. Boom

Boom
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2010
    Loc:
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Do you really tap the ceramic glass with a hammer or do you just mean the metal components? :bug:

8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Boom that wasn't what Taperbill was talking about as far as the "glass" was concerned but the back (metal) of the fire box, even there hammer taping can cause trouble. A cast baffle or back can be permanently broken that way. One should never hit their heat exchanger tubes with anything.

9. MARK WHITTAKER

MARK WHITTAKER
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2010
    finally i'm back , I may not be making myself clear- it's just the reflective coating on the outside that i'd like to get rid of, I wonder if anyone knows if a chemical will remove it from the outside - or if it has to be removed by an abrasive (again, this isn't dirt it's a reflective coating )
    I did check on a price for new glass- $174.00 which seems a little steep.

10. Delta-T

Delta-T
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2008
    Loc:
    NH
    you can get the replacement glass for the accentra insert and it'll fit right into the XXV, and it has no metalized coating. I dont know how you could remove it....except maybe acid, but i've never tried it.

11. captkirk5858

captkirk5858
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2009
    Loc:
    Northern Vermont

Does it Scratch that easily?

How about removingthe glass and maybe some rubbing compound and a buffer? Just throwing this out there!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.