XXXX heavy duty pallets... I got the scrounge bug !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep 'em off the ground or on gravel, and they'll last forever! :cool:

Reactions: Shane N
Those are great. How many did you get!
Like Woody said put a couple inches of gravel down, but before the gravel put some heavy plastic then the gravel.
Now get ta buildin' what'ca waitin' fur?!?;lol

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Those are great. How many did you get!
Like Woody said put a couple inches of gravel down, but before the gravel put some heavy plastic then the gravel.
Now get ta buildin' what'ca waitin' fur?!?;lol

I have some THICK plastic and I think I will just go ahead and build out the shed right there on the gravel. Only down side is there isn't a good breeze at that location.

I ended up with 3 total, but I think I can get more. As luck would have it, I think they are 4x8 :)

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm pretty jazzed to get my wood burning life rolling :)

BDB

Those pallets look perfect for a shed floor. Much better than having to build it yourself. The shed should be used to store your wood after its dried, so I don't think the lack of wind will be a major problem.

Reactions: PapaDave
The wood will season in the shed, but it will take longer.
Or if you don't want to move it twice, you can use a pole shed set up and the airflow will allow it to season faster.

Pallet Pete would be very proud indeed! Cheers!

Freakin' sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Looks like my pallets. Im lucky to have a friend in the commercial generator business and free access to as many as i want. All 2x6's and most are about 8-10ft long.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-20-58-28.jpeg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-20-58-28.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Screenshot_2013-05-08-20-58-28.jpeg
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-20-58-28.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Indeed. Make sure they are off the ground (gravel w/ drainage) and they will last a looooong time!

Very nice start to your Addiction!! Don't worry. It only gets worse with every waking day ;lol

Soon your yard will be full of stacks (different species in different places), garage full of Chainsaws, and you'll be on CL several times. Day looking for the latest scrounges.

BTW- It's gettin close ;)

Indeed. Make sure they are off the ground (gravel w/ drainage) and they will last a looooong time!

Very nice start to your Addiction!! Don't worry. It only gets worse with every waking day ;lol

Soon your yard will be full of stacks (different species in different places), garage full of Chainsaws, and you'll be on CL several times. Day looking for the latest scrounges.

BTW- It's gettin close ;)

I'll bet within a month I have a few cords CSS, and at least 3 chainsaws.
I find myself splitting stuff I shouldn't even be splitting (>20") but I can't help it! Just getting my form down with the Fiskars! :)

Made a few more good scrounges, but I needed a chainsaw, and noodling ability to even lift a few of them!!!:eek:

Reactions: Coal Reaper
I find myself splitting stuff I shouldn't even be splitting (>20") but I can't help it! Just getting my form down with the Fiskars! :)

Made a few more good scrounges, but I needed a chainsaw, and noodling ability to even lift a few of them!!!:eek:

Don't get the thought that you have to have a lot of saws. I used one saw for many, many years and never seen a need for a second saw. In addition, I own one chain for one saw. When that wears out then I'll buy another but refuse to keep lots of chains around. When they get dull, I stop and sharpen right then. The only exception is if I get a good buy on a chain then I might pick one up early but usually wait until the last moment to buy one. I just can't see tying up the dollars when it is not needed.

Reactions: NortheastAl
He will at least have a 2 saw plan. I am selling him an 036 and giving him an old Craftsman that was given to me (he pays shipping). ;)

Cats out the bag now. I feel better :)

Well, Christmas should come on Wednesday, or Thursday at the latest (Priority from Ohio).

Santa Claus is coming to town :)

His 2 saw plan. A freshly rebuilt 036 w/ 20" ES and a 40cc Craftsman with 18" Oregon. For the price, its hard to beat!

IMG_20130509_210929_017.jpg IMG_20130507_202724_145.jpg

On those big rounds - Work smarter, not harder.
He-manned plenty of big rounds into my truck starting out on here, then had a "smack my forehead" moment after reading this thread. Going to add some 3' pipe sections to the top section of a basic ladder tree stand for my version.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/easy-to-make-log-lifter.108522/#post-1425704

Those aren't pallets - you stole someones dock!! :)

That is good stuff right there - the pallets are good - the 036 is great!! My buddy just gave me a 24" Stihl Rollamatic bar and chain combo for my 036 today. Wont see much play as it is at the max of what the saw can handle but on those occassions when necessary the price was just to good to pass.

Reactions: DexterDay
He will at least have a 2 saw plan. I am selling him an 036 and giving him an old Craftsman that was given to me (he pays shipping). ;)

Cats out the bag now. I feel better :)

No problem with that Dexter. I've even gone to 2 saws because of my ailing body. I was just trying to make the point for newcomers that they do not have to start with all the equipment that others have. Start with the necessaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.