Y Strainer Mesh Size for OWB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNBobcat

Sep 6, 2009
Minnesota
Hi Guys,

I'm using 1 1/4 pex and my local dealer doesn't carry a Y Strainer in that size. I've found them online, but they are available in different mesh sizes and I have no idea what size I need. I don't want to reduce my flow rate, but on the other hand I don't want junk plugging my plate heat exchanger.

What size mesh should I order? One place lists mesh available in 24, 50 and 100

Thanks.

20 mesh is the common size used in hydronics. Remember to check or flush them frequently or they could starve and cause the pump to fail. Use a full port ball valve on the "Y" to blow them down.

Sometimes they are installed with a pressure gauge on both sides to gauge the flow conditions. If you suspect a dirty system or ongoing rust, a dirt separator is a better device. It doesn't have a fine mesh to plug up and uses a large bell to collect the debris. No pressure drop, and they remove smaller particles.

hr

in hot water said:
20 mesh is the common size used in hydronics. Remember to check or flush them frequently or they could starve and cause the pump to fail. Use a full port ball valve on the "Y" to blow them down.

Sometimes they are installed with a pressure gauge on both sides to gauge the flow conditions. If you suspect a dirty system or ongoing rust, a dirt separator is a better device. It doesn't have a fine mesh to plug up and uses a large bell to collect the debris. No pressure drop, and they remove smaller particles.

hr

Hi HR,

Thanks so much for the reply and for the great info! I know what a full port ball valve is but I'm not sure what you mean by "on the Y to blow them down". I gather it has something to do with the ability to clean the Y strainer but I can't picture in my head where the valve would be placed or how it would aid cleaning.

Is there a down side to using the dirt separator? In other words, is the Y strainer better in some situations or is the dirt separator always a better choice? Any suggestion on a good place to find a dirt separator?

Sorry about all the questions. :)

On both my prior OWB and current Tarm gasser, I've used and still use a hot water filter with a 50 micron element. Little danger of blockage. If you use the filter, be sure to install isolation valves so that you can easily change the element, which I did initially at a 2-4 week schedule, as the filter cleaned the system, and now only occasionally when I notice the flow rate starts to drop a bit. Also a new filter on start-up each season.

MNBobcat, In an older thread HR suggested an alternate, and operationally simpler, solution to a wye strainer for debris screening . There is a full port ball valve by Jomar that incorporates an integral 20 mesh screen. Turn the valve to the off position, remove and clean the screen. No need for other blow-down valves, or ball valves which you might need to isolate the wye strainer when cleaning the mesh. I just ordered a 1.5 inch one off Ebay to catch any debris that may come out of my storage tank when installed. I am thinking about placing a second one to put in front of my flat plate hx. The 1.25 inch size one you need is available on Ebay right now for $39.00. plus shipping. Just search for Jomar on the Ebay site. Here is the spec sheet link for the Jomar T-100FB with "Lift-N-Lock" Locking Device, http://www.jomar.com/products/pdf/Finished PDF - for review/T-100FB.pdf. The valve comes with a 20 mesh screen, but the spec sheet indicates you can also get 40, 60, 80, or 100 mesh inserts also.

P.S. Copy and paste the whole link to go straight to the right entry.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.