Ya Know, You Never Stop Being Surprised - Or Why You Always Need The Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I have been cooking trees for a really long time but tonight yet another surprise lay in wait.

The splits in the office stove weren't burning to their potential so I slipped on the gloves and picked up the poker. Opened the door and one wasn't cooperating so to turn it I picked up the ash shovel and used it and the poker to turn the split. Just as I was done with the split the paint on the ash shovel burst into flame. And I do mean burst. Right up to the hand holding the handle. And then the glove joined in.

Running out the door with a burning ash shovel and burning glove just took the charm right out of burning tonight.

What a sight you must have been! :ahhh:

Remember to drop and roll! ;-)

WOW

I don't think I've ever heard of anyones fireplace impliments catching fire before....

Hope you didn't get hurt.

Kenny said:
WOW

I don't think I've ever heard of anyones fireplace impliments catching fire before....

Nope. Didn't get hurt but I have now had a chainsaw explode into flames in my hands in the woods and set my clothes on fire and my ash shovel burst into flames in my hand. Had they not been 15 years apart I would be shopping for a new heat pump right about tomorrow.

Does that mean the 'good deal' I just got on a new cardboard ash shovel and rolled newspaper poker wasn't that good after all? I did use the 'buy it now' option and got free shipping....

BB I had the same thing happen to my ash shovel and glove. Took about a week to (break in) those leather gloves again. I had to take a pair of pliers and loosen up the fingers. Still can't get my pinky finger all the way in, melted it but good. First item for next years Christmas wish list(new gloves).

snowfreak said:
BB I had the same thing happen to my ash shovel and glove. Took about a week to (break in) those leather gloves again. I had to take a pair of pliers and loosen up the fingers. Still can't get my pinky finger all the way in, melted it but good. First item for next years Christmas wish list(new gloves).

"If the glove don't fit, you must aquit!"

Before chippers and land harvesting all trees were cut with chainsaws and the brush piled up and burnt. I worked for my grandfather and the old homelite saw just quit and he went out and bought a new one. I nean this is the first day using it. Part of the opperation we had a TD6 sovel dozer always near by to direct the trees fall and to stump the lot, clear the brush.. Things were
going ok that day, we scraped out the grown cover and got the brush fire going. About mid morning we take a coffee break. Just as the break ended a gust of wind came up and the fire started to spread. I jumped on the buldozer to head off the fire. In all the excitement we now can't find the new chain saw we looked everwhere. Then that bad feeling sets in. I had placed the new saw on the buldozer track when I backed up the buldozer we found the remains of the brand new saw. Panic took over. How could I explain this. I mean gramps was going to be mad. I hopped in the truck and bought the exact same model it cost me 2 weeks pay but I had to buy it.. I figured great I learned a vital lesson that day it cost me money but .... When I go to his house to get paid he asked my why I bought the carring case? He bought the store demo without the case. I figured since he asked he probably knew the whole story by now anyhow so I came clean and told the whole story

BrotherBart said:
Kenny said:
WOW

Nope. Didn't get hurt but I have now had a chainsaw explode into flames in my hands in the woods and set my clothes on fire and my ash shovel burst into flames in my hand. Had they not been 15 years apart I would be shopping for a new heat pump right about tomorrow.

Gee you have a free run. Think this means you have fifteen years before the fires of hades singe your eyebrows again. Really pisses me off when an tool for use in a hot environment is painted with the cheapest paint around. You acted quickly and appropriately and eliminated the danger. What if it would have been someone without a cool head? Is adding a nickel or dime to our products so important to ignore? Next time you buy ask to give the tools a quick temp test in the store and stick off the propane burner.

BrotherBart said:
I have been cooking trees for a really long time but tonight yet another surprise lay in wait.

The splits in the office stove weren't burning to their potential so I slipped on the gloves and picked up the poker. Opened the door and one wasn't cooperating so to turn it I picked up the ash shovel and used it and the poker to turn the split. Just as I was done with the split the paint on the ash shovel burst into flame. And I do mean burst. Right up to the hand holding the handle. And then the glove joined in.

Running out the door with a burning ash shovel and burning glove just took the charm right out of burning tonight.

BrotherBart???
You didn't by any chance buy these implements form Harbor Freight(China)...by any chance???
lol

Flamefighter Gloves

The Flame Fighter: The World's First Extraction/NFPA Approved Firefighting Glove All-In-One
Advanced Materials and Fabric composition
Pre-Curved & Fourchette Finger Style design
Waterproof & Blood Borne Pathogen Proof
Silicon Impregnated Kevlar palms & Kevlar Knuckle Protection
Ulnar Nerve Protection pad
Long Gauntlet Design
Chrome Steel Attachment clasp
Unsurpassed Dexterity!
Flame Fighter Gloves!

$94.99
Size Small Medium Large XLarge XXLarge

http://www.fireoutfitters.com/products/gloves/flamefighter.htm

BrotherBart said:
Kenny said:
WOW

Let's hope bad things don't come in 3's. Next, brother bursts into flames... You're not a drummer for Spinal Tap are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.