ya! living in canada, only good IWF brands are USA! so....is it charmaster or yukon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biffripjock

May 19, 2009
[email protected]
hi all

nice site !

i visit a diesel site alot and hope to be here lots soon.

this is a lousy first post but i have ot start somewhere

my house is 2700sqft. it is awalk out rancher main entry from front on the top and then lower level walks out to the back yrd. we liv ein sooke bc which is like seattle but alittle colder mayube like spokane a damp cold.

i tore out the origianl oil forced air furnace. i bought a second hand (2 year old) electric furnace. i want an add on wood furnace. the good folks at charmasnter and yukon sent some info. i still need help deciding. also if anyone has experiances wiht canadian made units please chime in.

i "gots ta" buy now for next year

thanks

I own a Yukon, this was my first year burning. I really like it, and I think it is built to last forever. I wish I had some way to view the fire w/out opening the front door. I heat about 4800 ft. The propane furnace came on 2 times this year, both when I was gone for a week, and my mother in law uses it rather than the yukon. Given the plumbing involved, for me, I am really glad I own a forced air unit rather than a boiler.

I'm in ontario and when I called about an Eagle oil/wood they said they were nolonger able to ship to Canada... have you looked at the psg cadet out of Quebec.

applewood said:
I'm in ontario and when I called about an Eagle oil/wood they said they were nolonger able to ship to Canada... have you looked at the psg cadet out of Quebec.

We ship to Canada....but there's our add ons that do not meet CSA's requirements.
Our wood/oil does and our Klondike wood/coal does.The Klondike can stand alone or be an add on.
They are on sale this month too.

Welcome to the forum, biffripjock...

One reminder comment, though I can't help much on the furnace side... Just as important as the furnace is your wood supply, one of the big issues we see a LOT here is people unhappy with the performance of their systems, largely because they are burning wood that isn't adequately seasoned, especially folks like you that are in a damper climate...

If you don't already have your wood supply, you need to start working on getting it in ASAP, including getting it cut to length and split... That way it will have a chance to properly season before burning season starts...

DON'T think that you can get truly seasoned wood from the "wood guy" - they seem to think "seasoned" means "cut and split, then piled outside a couple weeks ago, who cares about moisture content" when what you need for good burning is stuff that is down under 25%, preferably in the 15-20% range - this takes a minimum of 6-9 months, sometimes longer depending on the wood variety and how it's stored (best is a shed that keeps the rain off, but allows good air circulation) - so if you want to burn in the fall, you need to get started NOW...

Gooserider

CrappieKeith said:
applewood said:

We ship to Canada....but there's our add ons that do not meet CSA's requirements.
Our wood/oil does and our Klondike wood/coal does.The Klondike can stand alone or be an add on.

Sorry about that Keith... Not sure if I got the wrong info when I called but it was a wood/oil combo that I was interested in but that was over a year a go, so maybe things have changed. I have a neighbour shopping for next season so I'll pass on the info.

I would look into the psg caddy. I have the exact model with a different name. Haven't got it hooked up yet, but its epa certified. A well built unit, and up to 40% less wood than a standard wood furnace. Plus its got the large glass door for viewing the fire. Everyone I have talked to has had nothing but good to say. They are built in canada by SBI.

applewood said:
CrappieKeith said:
applewood said:

Sorry about that Keith... Not sure if I got the wrong info when I called but it was a wood/oil combo that I was interested in but that was over a year a go, so maybe things have changed. I have a neighbour shopping for next season so I'll pass on the info.

no problem....we do have 2 units that are not ULc listed in the form of add ons and they are not able to be installed yet...I say yet because we are getting ready for them to be ULc listed.

CSA needs certain testing to be done and they only recognize a few testing facilities like Underwritters Labs in Canada.
All of our Eagle furnace are ULc ,however the wood/gas does not meet CSA code because Canada does not have any provisions for wood/gas in the heating code like the U.S. has had for near 30 years.

hi all

well i got lots of wood ! currently building a shed to protect it so no worries and thanks for the heads up.

i cant find any pga dealers local. tuff living on an island. i have soem emails from the yukon boys and will proabbly be talking with them soon.

i dont think i have ht eroom for a charmaster with hte glass door. i have ot start measuring

b

Status
Not open for further replies.