YACLG - yet another craigslist gem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/grd/2472170503.html

Sent an email asking why I would pay 150 for 1/3 cord when I could get a full cord CSD for under 200

Guy responds that you can fit more than two cord in a truckload

Sent back that a cord is 4'x4x8' and weights 5000 pounds green, also unspli wood is normally free unless delivered

The guy is going to be sitting on that wood for a while

He obviously meant chord. He certainly aint using one of those "dictionary" cords.

Shawn

And what is hardwood? Does he realize that willow is hardwood? Same for cottonwood and many others. This is why I always cringe when people post that they bought some hardwood. It is still better to know what this hardwood is. It might be oak but it might be even something like witch hazel.

This is why I am seriously thinking about sticking with biobricks or other compressed wood. I feel like I am just going to be taken for a ride from every CL seller there is! Last delivery was so wet it was 33% - 47% moisture and the seller assured me it was seasoned for over a year. Unfortunately I had not found this forum and didn't know about moisture content, how to check it, and refusal of delivery for anything that wet. So it is sitting in a pile in the backyard waiting to dry out.

Too many fools like me willing to buy wood without knowing dry from wet wood that they can keep getting away with it. No one returns my calls anymore when I leave a message that I want seasoned wood and will measure moisture and pile size before accepting delivery.

fprintf said:
This is why I am seriously thinking about sticking with biobricks or other compressed wood. I feel like I am just going to be taken for a ride from every CL seller there is! Last delivery was so wet it was 33% - 47% moisture and the seller assured me it was seasoned for over a year. Unfortunately I had not found this forum and didn't know about moisture content, how to check it, and refusal of delivery for anything that wet. So it is sitting in a pile in the backyard waiting to dry out.

Too many fools like me willing to buy wood without knowing dry from wet wood that they can keep getting away with it. No one returns my calls anymore when I leave a message that I want seasoned wood and will measure moisture and pile size before accepting delivery.

Even those of us who found this forum early still paid our newbie dues. Don't waste any energy kicking yourself--at least you're learning and moving on. I have the impression that a lot of experienced burners buy biobricks. You might try searching this forum for information about sources, prices, and how to calculate useage--then share what you learn, okay? Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you have that wood in the backyard split and stacked so that it can start drying? And welcome to the forum.

Found this one on our local Kijiji listing:

I HAVE ABOUT 5-6 CORDS OF FIREWOOD THAT NEEDS TO BE CUT AN REMOVED,,, ITS ALL FREE BUT MUST TAKE IT ALL.. PLZ CALL 966-XXXZ ID LIKE IT GONE ASAP, I BELIEVE ITS MAPLE BUT DONT KNOW FORSURE

belleville.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-FREE-FIREWOOD-W0QQAdIdZ295034757

Went to have a look this morning on my way to work...saw a single POPLAR down in their front yard. Got an email later in the day from them: "ok call me its jennifer 966-XXXZ, next door said its popular but i dont think it is, ive been burning some outside an it burns nicly"

Status
Not open for further replies.