Yaktrax Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
Yaktrax Replacement

My main pile is uphill from my close-to-the-house pile, and when I need to replenish it during the winter, I am walking on a very slippery slope. In order to avoid slipping, I purchased a set of Yaktrax crampons to slip over my boots. They sort of worked OK, but I soon go tired of replacing them twice a year because of the rubber underneath them wearing out and breaking.

This fall I did some research on Amazon on better crampons, and after looking through a lot of customer feedback, I purchased a pair of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NYI34XK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

After about two months this year, I can say they are very much an improvement over Yaktrax. Their all-metal connectors look to be a lot better. They have more pointed spikes, and that is good. They do well even on concrete, and other smooth surfaces.

Attachments

• 100_1468.JPG
    100_1468.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_1469.JPG
    100_1469.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_1470.JPG
    100_1470.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 116
I'll have to look into those new ones. I've used the Yaktrax before for elk season in the snow, they help a lot but they'll slip off your feet.
Those new ones look pretty good, especially with that strap over the top.
Thanks for sharing, what do they cost?

They are listed on Amazon for $21.56

I sell Yaktrax, and they do have two models - the "Pro" model is definitely an improvement if you are using them a lot. However, for daily or near daily use I have seen nothing better than the Stabilicers referenced above. I Wish I could carry those as well.

This should be obvious, but apparently it is not: Never wear any of these products on indoor surfaces. Not only will it damage the flooring, but they are amazingly slick on tile, polished concrete, etc.

I hike in the white mountains most weekends climbing mountains and traction is generally required. Yaktracks just don't make it and many trip leaders ban them. The spikes pictured by the original poster appear to be knock offs of Hillsound trail crampons. The most popular are Kahtoola microspikes . For around the house the knock offs are probably fine but the rubbers on many of the knockoffs don't hold up and tend to rip in the cold. For around the house I might lean towards the Kahtoolas as the spikes are a less prominent than the Hillsounds

If things get serious I use Grivel crampons but they are total overkill for around the house, but real nice when in he serious above treeline stuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.