Yankee Pellet Stove by Lopi-clanks, rattles and clogging tray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithaxis

Feb 17, 2009
Western Washington ST
Hi,

I have a Lopi pellet stove that I was hoping to get a little knowledge on. I burn the brand Clean Burn Pellets. The stove is on it's 5th winter (bought in august 04) and had been pretty good as far as rattles go compared to previous stove.

But this winter something has changed. I know there is a fan on the left side that exhausts, a fan on the right side that seems it may be intake but there is a large rattling sound right in the middle portion of stove (right behind where the fire is burning) and I have to constantly kick the stove door, that temporarily stops the rattle but on most days not for long. The other issue is the pellet tray is clogging like it never has before. I have to take out the tray every day and clean out every hole in the bottom of the tray as there is a burned residue clogging most of the holes. I would think that is pellet quality but I am using the same brand of pellets that I have always used. Now I did in the early winter buy four bags of pellets from Lowes and that is when all the stove issues started. Those were the worst burning pellets ever and it was teh first time the stove kepts getting clogged. It seemed to help going back to the regular Clean Burn brand but the stove has never been the same this winter.

I guess my main question is:

Is there a 3rd fan in the center of the stove that is maybe hidden? This past summer I took the stove outside and used my compressor and air blower and cleaned that Lopi so nice. It started out great this winter but boy is it getting annoying with all the rattles and clogged pellet tray. I am burning both the auger and the fan slightly above halfway as I have for all 5 winters. So not many changes except that one batch of real bad pellets and all the noises the stove now makes.

Thanks for any insight..

What I am going to do today is haul the stove back outside as I did last summer and use the air blower again and spend an hour blowing it out spotless...maybe there is a little clog somewhere that is affecting the flow......

thanks again....

It is all cleaned out. The vent and stove. I just used the compressor and airgun and wow did some filth come out. I even pulled off the fan on the right side that leads into the middle of stove. The stove is now back in place and it heated up the house much quicker but I also see it not burning pellets still. The pellet tray has a crack running up and down where the main middle hole starts (there are 3 holes on that side of pellet tray). Maybe that crack is now allowing the correct ventilition. I will see if I can buy a replacement pellet tray.

I will say the cleaning today did some wonderfull things. One fo the fans was completely clogged on each blade.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.