1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

yardworks 6.5 ton electric splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by salmonhunter, Jun 10, 2012.

1. salmonhunter

salmonhunter Burning Hunk

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    I was looking in the canadian tire flyer and noticed there 6.5 ton splitter was on sale this week for $449 so I decided to go get one and try it out. I split all the nasty chunks I had and only had to play around with 1 big 18 inch round, which busted after I rotated it. It even seemed to bust through the crotch pieces pretty easily . Its got 2 settings on the lever one for soft wood(which I used mostly) and one for hard wood which is pretty nice. First setting moves the ram pretty fast but with less power. Second setting is a little slower but seemed to bust through anything I threw at it I even tried to find the hard spots on some of the rounds. I gotta say it is well worth the $500 or so it payed. If any of you guys are looking for a cheap splitter and have access to one of these splitters I highly recommend it. However if your regularly splitting rounds bigger the 16 inches diameter maybee this wont be the splitter for you as I did have a couple big 18 inch maple that I had to maneuver a couple times to bust though them. However 90% of my rounds are 16inches or smaller so im happy and so is my back.
    bogydave likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Sounds like you found a nice splitter, rod.
    For the bigger rounds, maybe try taking edges off first. Just a thought.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Sounds like a good deal, do you have any pics of the splitter or a link?
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I like the comment ; " i'm happy and so is my back."

That tells the best part of the review story. ;)
  5. salmonhunter

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
  6. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Interesting! It looks just like my Pow'R'kraft 7-ton splitter, except that yours is painted green, has a handle between the front legs, and looks as though it has more robust wheels. I paid around $559 with free shipping, but of course I paid US dollars and I assume yours is priced in $CAN.[​IMG]
  7. salmonhunter

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    yea looks exactly the same with a few minor differences so how do you like your little splitter? Im making a little bench for it today so it will be at waist height.
  8. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
  9. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Rod can you post a picture of your bench, I plan on doing that for mine and Ive been searching for some ideas. The stand looks like it might help too but I saw someone built a bench for theirs that has an area where you could put the unsplit section of your round instead of bending down to pick it up all the time.
  10. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    I've really enjoyed mine...nothing it hasn't split, if given a second or third try on large or gnarly pieces. Largest have been 18" diameter red oak and 16" diameter locust and elm.
  11. salmonhunter

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    il post a pic when my wife gets home no idea where the camera is. But in the meantime check out this youtube video i copied his idea

it only costed me $25 for the plywood as I had some old 2x4's and screws from an old renovation
    I also didnt bother with the long crossbeam on the bottom. I tried to lift the splitter on to the table by myself but its too heavy gonna have to wait for a friend to come give me a hand. Im gonna bolt it right on to the bench and add some wheels to the bottom of the table so I dont have to lift it up there every time I wanna use it