Yardworks 8# maul at Menards

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Saw this in there today. What I liked about it was the narrow taper from the cutting edge back. I had to grind my other mauls to get a similar sharp angle near the cutting edge, or they would bounce off the rounds sometimes. I don't see a 6# though; That's my go-to maul. I picked up a Michigan ax to replace my lost Fiskars. 23 bucks with a 10-yr. warranty.
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...de-8-lb-fiberglass-maul/p-2015510-c-13244.htm
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...fiberglass-michigan-axe/p-2015506-c-13244.htm

The shape of that maul is more like what I prefer as well. However, I can't stand fiberglass handles.

Sorry to hear about the fiskars.

That go-devil style maul is a design classic.

My 8lb maul was purchased by my grandfather sometime in the 70's, but it looks extremely close to this

80MATRANS.PNG

made by council tool (I do not believe mine was made by council, but who knows, it's getting old). From the pictures, this is what I'm thinking matches what Woody bought in head design.

With the fiskars x27, I honestly only use this 8lb maul when I'm mad at the world and just need to pound the living poo out of something in a constructive manner that makes me too tired to be mad anymore....... That said, I love my fiskars, but I've made a lot of firewood with that old maul ;lol

Here's the coucil tool website that I took the pic from. http://www.counciltool.com/product.asp?pg=product&item=80MA

As far as fiberglass handles, I only have ever owned one, so I really shouldn't have been so rash to say I hate "them," but I do hate "it" and a few other tools I've used on construction sites, etc, with fiberglass handles. To clarify, the reason I dislike the handle on the 10lb maul I bought about a decade ago is that it has some rubber pieces embossed into the fiberglass to help with grip. In the last few years, these have started to weep an oily substance that makes using the tool akin to applying vasaline to you hands or gloves before deciding to swing it. Additionally, it just feels dead in the hand when something is struck.

I only bought that fiberglass sledge because I wasn't impressed with the wood handles on the equivalent tools I found at the store that day, and simply needed it for the beech I was breaking apart with two or three wedges buried per round before it would succumb to my efforts. I can say however other than the recent oily discharge, it has survived well, and probably better than the poorly cut wooden handles I had to choose from, would have.

That's my story, hope you make out better. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.