Yates 2B surface planer, 411 needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Somehow, out of the fog, came the memomory of a large surface planer, gifted to me almost thirty years ago. Since my DIY bandsaw sawmill is now at or near the top of my bucket list, this machine (still sitting in the same outside, uncovered spot) has much value. It will be a project and a half to restore, but I am thinking well worth it. Any comments, critisims, or outright attacks?

Go for it. In my book there's nothing nicer to work on than old cast iron. Are there any specific issues you're looking at or just cleaning it up and running it?

Old 'arn rocks! Most of my ww tools were made before WWII. I love heavy iron cast into art deco shapes.

Matt

My issue is only how long it will probably take to restore it. It may have sat outside for half a century. To me it seems worthwhile but I am known as an optimist by my family.

You don't know how bad it is until you pull it inside and start trying to free rusted bolts.

Matt

Yeah, I don't know if you get any salt spray on the Cape, but here cast iron can sit outside and come apart easily decades later. The only exeption I've heard is a JD B that was burned, I think it was even a barn fire, the guy said he would never do that again, every bolt was stuck, oil wouldn't drain because the lead had melted and filled the bottom of the pan, etc.

I wouldn't be one bit suprised if you could use that thing in a matter of a few hours. It might not be pretty, or last forever, but it might be usable.

Thanks for the replys folks. Due to my personality, I have to remove every part, re-pour all the babbit bearings, paint the thing and build a shed for it before I can use it, but it seems worthwhile.

Have you been to the OWWM website? (Old woodworking machines)

There is lots of help for those afflicted with the rusty tool syndrome. I've had pretty good luck with the few babbits I've come across by drenching them in synthetic motor oil A little time, and even a select application of heat, has allowed the oil down into the bearing. I have to say the offending piece of cast iron was only barn stored for the last hundred years or so. It wasn't out in the rain that I know of. The torch was my friend on that job. It got all the spiderwebs and organic matter off fairly quickly. It also loosened the grease in the ball bearings.

Do you have any pics?

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.