Yay! First burn in my Englander a success!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Just wanted to check in to say that (thanks to a good bit of guidance from this forum) we've finally been able to light our new Englander NCH-30 this weekend. It's probably a bit premature, because we're going to have to move the stove to complete the hearth, but that is at least a week away and i couldn't stand the though of not firing it up.

Given that the stove is in the basement of our ranch home, and that the basement has essentially bare concrete walls and floors (another winter project), and that some folks haven't had much luck with this setup, I was tempering my expectations with a dose of reality. Imagine my pleasant surprise, then, to see that the stove is more than capable of keeping our new, 2200 sq ft home in the 70's on a cool night. This shot is while things are still warming up after being away all day today...i've seen it as high as 74.

GyCMF.jpg

As the outdoor temps are leaving heat pump range and moving into propane territory, it is a huge relief to have this much success while i'm still just basically learning how to operate the unit. Being raised on an old version of the Jotul F 118 with the spinner on the front, this big square firebox is a bit foreign. And i've got a good case of what i'll call 'Englander knuckles', where i keep sizzling my skin on those steel tubes at the top of the firebox. But that said, the stove has been very manageable and easy on a rookie like me. The heat is great, and that big glass on the front gives you a great show and a blast of IR that soaks right in.

This is a quick shot of the setup, the hearth is just roughed in and will be topped with 2 1/4" limestone and wrapped with a stone veneer. The stone veneer will probably go halfway up the wall behind the stove as well.

0ri9R.jpg

Pot shots at the horrible mortar work welcome. haha

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure the questions will keep rolling, and hopefully i'll start gaining some experience to pay forward to the next wave of rookies like me.

So, thanks again everyone. I'm going to head back downstairs and enjoy the show. :)

myzamboni said:
can't see the pics

FIXED (i think, not sure what happened, let me know if you can't see them still)

My BIL has that same stove in his large ranch in an unfinished basement and has no problem heating his house up here in New England and last winter was pretty cold. I know some people dont have success with an unfinished basement but he does. I see your finishing yours, should look real nice when finished. good luck

The big hoss is looking good. If I didn't give you your shirt yet, here it is.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 409
BrotherBart said:
The big hoss is looking good. If I didn't give you your shirt yet, here it is.

It is a good looking hoss, isn't it. I'll wear the shirt with pride, thanks!

"And i’ve got a good case of what i’ll call ‘Englander knuckles’, where i keep sizzling my skin on those steel tubes at the top of the firebox."

Get some stove or welder's gloves.

fredarm said:
"And i’ve got a good case of what i’ll call ‘Englander knuckles’, where i keep sizzling my skin on those steel tubes at the top of the firebox."

+1. Seriously.

BrowningBAR said:
fredarm said:

+1. Seriously.

Harbor Freight has a 3 pack for $9.99!

They seem to last about 2 seasons before becoming work gloves.....

Hiram Maxim said:
BrowningBAR said:
fredarm said:

+1. Seriously.

Harbor Freight has a 3 pack for $9.99!

They seem to last about 2 seasons before becoming work gloves.....

What? Gloves are for sissies! (checks what time TSC opens in the morning)

floridaboy said:
Looking good my friend. What are you usings for the foundation of hearth?

Thanks! I actually had a ton of great feedback on the hearth construction in this thread. In short, it's essentially concrete block filled with mortar and sandwiched between two layers of durock. I have a channel going through it so i can try to reclaim some of the heat from the hearth before it goes into the ground, but initial tests show that to be a pointless exercise. Plan is to wrap it with cultured stone veneer and lay a slab of limestone on top.

Nice install. With that big warm steel box and some natural light through the windows, you have the makings of a prime subterranean fester den.

Status
Not open for further replies.