Yay - first burn of the season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
Well, it's been the year of 're' at the old house...'remodel' the family room, 'rebuild / reface' the fireplace, 'reline, repaint, and regasket' the stove. Finally got everything together last night for the first little 'bake-it-off' fire of the season. Wife about knocked me down with hugs and before I could hardly get the door closed from lighting the fire, she was on the couch with a glass of wine. I ask if she missed the fire and she said, "I've been smelling other wood burning for a month and the house just seems so cold without the fire" (it was 60ºF outside and close to 70ºF inside when I lit the thing)

I think for Christmas this year, I'll just press some oak and hedge sawdust in to little incense cones so she can light one up when she is 'in need' :)

Hang on Corey. Cold will be coming very soon now and you can please her even more. Also, maybe you can relax a little this winter after all the re-doing.

The old hoss is saddled up and running again.

What wine goes well with paint curing smell :question:

cozy heat said:
Well, it's been the year of 're' at the old house...'remodel' the family room, 'rebuild / reface' the fireplace, 'reline, repaint, and regasket' the stove. Finally got everything together last night for the first little 'bake-it-off' fire of the season. Wife about knocked me down with hugs and before I could hardly get the door closed from lighting the fire, she was on the couch with a glass of wine. I ask if she missed the fire and she said, "I've been smelling other wood burning for a month and the house just seems so cold without the fire" (it was 60ºF outside and close to 70ºF inside when I lit the thing)

I think for Christmas this year, I'll just press some oak and hedge sawdust in to little incense cones so she can light one up when she is 'in need' :)

You are a King among husbands!

I believe it was a bottle of Castello Monaci Lilante 2007 (Lots of big foreign sounding words which must translate to: This definitely isn't the best wine right now - let it rest for a few years, but don't get your hopes up.

But that was part of the reason for the burn-in @ 70F - keep a window open and vent the nasties.

cozy heat said:
I believe it was a bottle of Castello Monaci Lilante 2007 (Lots of big foreign sounding words which must translate to: This definitely isn't the best wine right now - let it rest for a few years, but don't get your hopes up.

But that was part of the reason for the burn-in @ 70F - keep a window open and vent the nasties.

Ah yes, Lilante. A smooth finish with a bouquet of dried cherries, plums and just a hint of creosote.

great story! but i just cant believe someone would be having fires at 60 degrees!

Bravo

Nothing like a fire in the stove, loved one next to you and a glass of your favorite spirit. Looking forward to those winter nights.

greythorn3 said:
great story! but i just cant believe someone would be having fires at 60 degrees!

I just lit off. It's 59 outside. We might hit the 30s tonight :coolsmile:

brotherbart you do have a way with words..............

greythorn3 said:

Like I said, I was burning off paint so I wanted to do it while it was warm enough to have a window open to vent the fumes. Of course Wife + Fire + Booze usually has a happy outcome later in the evening as well. For that, I'd light fires in July if I could afford the AC bill!

Heck I loaded three big splits that will do ten to twelve hours when it was 49 outside and supposed to go down to the thirties tonight. And just as the stove was coming up to temp the wind shifted and it is up to 55 outside and rising. Happens three or four times a year.

Wasted wood!

BrotherBart said:
Heck I loaded three big splits that will do ten to twelve hours when it was 49 outside and supposed to go down to the thirties tonight. And just as the stove was coming up to temp the wind shifted and it is up to 55 outside and rising. Happens three or four times a year.

Wasted wood!

no wasted wood at cozy heats house

author="cozy heat" date="1258185835
Of course Wife + Fire + Booze usually has a happy outcome later in the evening as well.

SOOOOO True! Thats the only hardwood available up here and burning it is NOT an option. :lol:

fbelec said:
BrotherBart said:

Wasted wood!

no wasted wood at cozy heats house

LOL - nope ALLLLL my wood gets used in one way or the other!

(Well, I see where this thread is heading :) back to watching the blizzard...)

Status
Not open for further replies.