Ye Olde Heating Bill (Chart)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Well now we're starting to see some savings.. a slight uptick in wife bitching & electric from running 3 good sized floor fans to move the heat horizontally in my 1 story ranch...

wxxhZyp.png

This is heating with a Blaze King Princess Insert in a 1974 sq ft home built in 1957.... w/ horrible, horrible windows in southern CT and a sunroom that's insulated as well as a paper bag. :p

So are you focused on your 11/9 bill which seems to refect a reduction? You need a whole winter's worth of data to verify the trend. Looks like a good first month though.

Yes, November is the ~real~ start of my heating season. Will see how the rest of my first year goes. My Nat Gas usage will tick up though as some parts of my house get less love from the stove in the living room, but still expecting a significant reduction. At this rate my stove and all associated supplies/tools will be paid off in 10 years. haha. Oh well.

You'll likely save well more than $100 in Dec Jan Feb and March. Also, don't forget to factor in any increases in gas supply or delivery rates that may have occurred. Look at volume as well as cost. There is additional savings over the previous year's bill if rates have gone up. The other question is whether the home is as comfortable/more comfortable than before.

Looks good.

.. a slight uptick in wife bitching & electric from running 3 good sized floor fans

I noticed your chart reflects the electric costs but not the qualitative or quantitative nature of spousal protestations. I myself have never found an adequate metric to chart such a thing, but my anecdotal experience seems to show a decline in volume and frequency of wood-related bitching over several years of wood heating. The fans are just another part of the scenery now, and the wife LOVES being warm to the bone, which she now knows wood heat accomplishes much better than the forced hot air ever could.

Besides, she enjoys finding something NEW to complain about.

Reactions: Bster13
And I just ordered another fan, haha.

I noticed your chart reflects the electric costs but not the qualitative or quantitative nature of spousal protestations. I myself have never found an adequate metric to chart such a thing, but my anecdotal experience seems to show a decline in volume and frequency of wood-related bitching over several years of wood heating. The fans are just another part of the scenery now, and the wife LOVES being warm to the bone, which she now knows wood heat accomplishes much better than the forced hot air ever could.

Besides, she enjoys finding something NEW to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.