Yea! I caught a break!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
Well, after the insert debacle Friday, I was pretty ticked. Not only had the installers brought out the wrong stove, the wrong one had been ordered altogether. So I stewed for a bit of the weekend, but then calmed down and managed to get off work Monday. I was sitting at the dealer's desk Monday morning two minutes after they opened. My dealer had been on vacation and had just learned about the screwup. He seemed genuinely ticked, showed me where he had placed the right order but surmised it must have been ordered wrong by their main office. He made some calls and verified that there was no Lopi 1750i anywhere they could get their hands on. I expressed my disappointment, we've got a cold snap coming Wednesday and I wouldn't be able to burn. He thought for a minute, and said, you know, the Revere is pretty close to the Republic 1750, except for the Revere being $500 more expensive, would I be okay with a Revere? Yeah buddy! So after a few phone calls he got permission to give me the Revere for no additional cost, AND the installers would be there that afternoon to put it in!!! Yea!! Other than the installers not knowing it needed a flue adapter and having to run back to get one ("run back"...ha, I live in the middle of nowhere, it took them over an hour to 'run back' and get it!), all went relatively smoothly. By the time they left it was too late for me to play with my new toy, but I plan to have a nice little break in fire this evening.

Now, time to get to tiling the hearth/floor!!! (And yes, I WILL remove the speaker from above the insert before I light up!!) Still have quite a bit of work to do to make it all pretty, will tile around the black surround, get a mantle, etc.

Karen
(oops, need to change my sig!)

Attachments

• Revere.jpg
    Revere.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 940
Good to hear it worked out. I'd also consider adding a non-combustible mantle above the stove.

3dogsrule said:
Well, after the insert debacle Friday, I was pretty ticked. Not only had the installers brought out the wrong stove, the wrong one had been ordered altogether. So I stewed for a bit of the weekend, but then calmed down and managed to get off work Monday. I was sitting at the dealer's desk Monday morning two minutes after they opened. My dealer had been on vacation and had just learned about the screwup. He seemed genuinely ticked, showed me where he had placed the right order but surmised it must have been ordered wrong by their main office. He made some calls and verified that there was no Lopi 1750i anywhere they could get their hands on. I expressed my disappointment, we've got a cold snap coming Wednesday and I wouldn't be able to burn. He thought for a minute, and said, you know, the Revere is pretty close to the Republic 1750, except for the Revere being $500 more expensive, would I be okay with a Revere? Yeah buddy! So after a few phone calls he got permission to give me the Revere for no additional cost, AND the installers would be there that afternoon to put it in!!! Yea!! Other than the installers not knowing it needed a flue adapter and having to run back to get one ("run back"...ha, I live in the middle of nowhere, it took them over an hour to 'run back' and get it!), all went relatively smoothly. By the time they left it was too late for me to play with my new toy, but I plan to have a nice little break in fire this evening.

Now, time to get to tiling the hearth/floor!!! (And yes, I WILL remove the speaker from above the insert before I light up!!) Still have quite a bit of work to do to make it all pretty, will tile around the black surround, get a mantle, etc.

Karen
(oops, need to change my sig!)

Looks Good, (LG) looks good to.

Zap

Do speakers count as combustables?

Also congrats! Since I too (read: my wife) am looking at the lopis I'm interested in hearing how it goes.

Best of Luck with the new stove. Protect the TV with non conbustible material mantel! Mine is not heating the rooms I thought it would but only my second day using it and the top down fire worked much better for me than bottom up. I think I did not put in enough wood in bottom up fire and when I did the top down I loaded the floor of the stove with big quarters, then smaller quarters then kindling and then the newspaper knots, heated up the chimney with a piece of rolled up newspaper with damper open to get the draft going and then lit the newspaper on top of all the other wood and off she went to 500 degrees in maybe an hour which is not bad and stayed there. I shut the damper in 10 min and lowered my aircontrol to 3/4 in 15 min and 1/2 30 min and 1/4 in hour or so and it burned nicely. Some stoves do not have the two different air controls like mine which is probably easier to keep track of but from what I can tell on mine I open the damper to light the fire and get her going, then shut the damper but I also have something called a Thermostat at the back of the stove that looks like a little damper and that is what I am saying I closed in increments over and hour and left at 1/4 during the whole burn. Right now with the weather being about 40-44 in the evening here I can bring the house from 58 to 66 in and hour and then up further as the evening goes on.
My other mistake last night was I kept adding wood instead of putting it all in to begin with. Some stoves like it all at once and some like it to start with a little then load it.
Best of luck and we are in this together as newbees.

Looks good. I think you'll be more than pleased with the Revere. It certainly works for me. You will definitely need something to block the heat on that tv. The only gripe I have against Lopi is their useless way of securing the secondary tubes. Those little pins fall out and then they turn every time you fill it. Get a thermometer and keep it about 6" from the front edge (on the top). This stove cruises around 550-600. When it's around there you can shut the air completely and it just seems to go by itself. I always have nice coals and the blower on still blowing 300* air out in the morning if I load it up and get it going good then shut the air off around 11pm. This is my second year burning with mine so if you need any help just let me know and I'll be glad to share.

Glad to hear you got your stove before the cold sets in, good luck
and stay warm.

She got really busy with the holidays, then with other stuff, and then she was ashamed that she's STILL shopping for tile and hasn't finished her hearth!!!

I swear, I never do things easy. The rise is about 15 1/2" and I've got 12" granite, but instead of just cutting it up to fill in the whole space, I really wanted some kind of complimenting tile to use to fill in the gap, and I never could find anything. So all winter I've been burning carefully, and still am shopping for tile.

Was able to get a decent fire going, but have had a helluva time breaking 400*. I'm hoping it's just my wood, I've got a stack seasoning for next year and will hope I do better.

Wish I could work for 2 days and be off for 5 instead of how it really is, there just aren't enough hours in the day to take care of everything!

Hope all of you have been well, I have been lurking from time to time!

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.