Yea the gas furance is up again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
4 a.m. the house was 55 degrees.....No gas furnance (hate the gas man anyways) Sure comes in handy on these very cold nights. Fought mother nature and finally got a grip on her about 1:00 pm today. It is working now and the temps are 74 degrees with out it. Mother nature pretty tough to beat sometimes.

smokinjay said:
4 a.m. the house was 55 degrees.....No gas furnance (hate the gas man anyways) Sure comes in handy on these very cold nights. Fought mother nature and finally got a grip on her about 1:00 pm today. It is working now and the temps are 74 degrees with out it. Mother nature pretty tough to beat sometimes.

Smokin - what happened? You run a wood boiler, right? Problem? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin - what happened? You run a wood boiler, right? Problem? Cheers!

Igniter went bad on the natural gas furnace. I am running a wood furance with dhw. 2600 sq ft in the middle of corn field and no wind blocks for 1/2 mile. The furnace can handle it if you know that 2:00 am is a must feeding time. Like a baby in this weather every 4 hrs.

Smoking Jay, I have no choice, mine is on all the time to pick up the slack. I have 3,200 sq ft up stairs and not sure how much in the basement. My stove is big help, but cannot handle the full load. It is amazing to me how alot of you guys can burn 24/7, my stove also usually needs feeding every 4 hours. With work and sleep I usally miss some cycles here and there. I am sure I am still saving alot on the gas bill. The electric bill is the bad boy now. It is always higher than the gas bill.

I had to burn some coal this morning to take the chill off and by that I mean turn on the electric heat for 10 min.

My gas furnace will kick in overnight when I turn down the air on my stove cuz I ain't getting up for no late night feedings. Always lots of coals still in the morning but not much heat. Takes a while to get the house back up to temps with just the wood stove so the wife bumps up the furnace for a few minutes.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Smoking Jay, I have no choice, mine is on all the time to pick up the slack. I have 3,200 sq ft up stairs and not sure how much in the basement. My stove is big help, but cannot handle the full load. It is amazing to me how alot of you guys can burn 24/7, my stove also usually needs feeding every 4 hours. With work and sleep I usally miss some cycles here and there. I am sure I am still saving alot on the gas bill. The electric bill is the bad boy now. It is always higher than the gas bill.

our stove is the only sorce of heat in the house. it is as old as the house (old lakewood) and i load it with some of the ugly knurly bigger pieces and close both drafts tight then open each half turn and i still have material and coals in the morning 10 hours later. during the day we tend to burn hotter and reload after 6 -7 hours. This thing has a huge firebox and can empty a woodshed in 1 feeding but playing with the draft can extend your burn times and control your heat

bucketboy said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

our stove is the only sorce of heat in the house. it is as old as the house (old lakewood) and i load it with some of the ugly knurly bigger pieces and close both drafts tight then open each half turn and i still have material and coals in the morning 10 hours later. during the day we tend to burn hotter and reload after 6 -7 hours. This thing has a huge firebox and can empty a woodshed in 1 feeding but playing with the draft can extend your burn times and control your heat

Reminds me of my old Fisher Grandma Bear. It could fit a dump truck full of wood and go 12 hours on one load, but man, that thing was a smoke dragon. My chimney looked like a Pittsburgh steel smelter....

bucketboy said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Heat this place at these temps and wind speeds it needs to be wide open to handle it. 2600sqft full wind in all directions.....Oh You have all my respect to pull it off where you live.
I running about 90 percent wood. 15 degrees and up with winds under 20mph piece of cake.

GolfandWoodNut said:

I dont use much gas. Nice to have it when you need it though.

LLigetfa said:
My gas furnace will kick in overnight when I turn down the air on my stove cuz I ain't getting up for no late night feedings. Always lots of coals still in the morning but not much heat. Takes a while to get the house back up to temps with just the wood stove so the wife bumps up the furnace for a few minutes.

+100

woodsmaster said:
I had to burn some coal this morning to take the chill off and by that I mean turn on the electric heat for 10 min.

I keep trying to find coal where you finding it?

smokinjay said:
LLigetfa said:

+100

same here

Doesn't help you Jay, but Anthracite is $220/ton in bulk 10 miles from my house. Pretty compelling when you don't have access to NG. How big is the firebox in your furnace? Loading every 4 hours must be putting out some serious heat.

SolarAndWood said:
Doesn't help you Jay, but Anthracite is $220/ton in bulk 10 miles from my house. Pretty compelling when you don't have access to NG. How big is the firebox in your furnace? Loading every 4 hours must be putting out some serious heat.

Its Big guess 5.0 or more cubic feet. Just needed wot yesterday up 17 today and lower winds..WOOTWOOOT! I would like to keep a ton around just cant find it.

Holy chit, 5 cu ft every 4 hours is a lot of wood. That's what, a cord in 4 or 5 days?

SolarAndWood said:
Holy chit, 5 cu ft every 4 hours is a lot of wood. That's what, a cord in 4 or 5 days?

lol Yep but normally there is no reason to run it that way. I shot through 1/2 cord of good season white oak,beech,mulberry in the last 48 hours. Today the damper will be back down and cut that in 1/2. Get me to the 20's and cut it in 1/2 again.

And people wonder how you can burn 8 to 10 cord a season. I can stuff a cord of the good stuff through in 2 weeks but that is pushing it.

SolarAndWood said:
And people wonder how you can burn 8 to 10 cord a season. I can stuff a cord of the good stuff through in 2 weeks but that is pushing it.

Getting ready to top off the wood racks now. Wait till people get this gas bill WOW its going to be a few extra hundo! 48 hours was worth at least one hundo! lol

SolarAndWood said:
I know some guys with OWBs that go through twice that amount. Mind you, they brag that it can burn green wood and even claim that green is better... 4 foot long logs in the round, no splitting or stacking... truck drops off 8 footers and they just cut it in half and toss it in.

I've burned wood before its time and went through twice what I should. At the current price of gas, I'd be better off burning it instead of wet wood. 4 - 5 cord is average for well seasoned wood.

LLigetfa said:
SolarAndWood said:
I know some guys with OWBs that go through twice that amount. Mind you, they brag that it can burn green wood and even claim that green is better... 4 foot long logs in the round, no splitting or stacking... truck drops off 8 footers and they just cut it in half and toss it in.

I've burned wood before its time and went through twice what I should. At the current price of gas, I'd be better off burning it instead of wet wood. 4 - 5 cord is average for well seasoned wood.

I will hit 9-10 cords of seasoned hardwoods this year. Thats nothing compared to 500.00+ gas bills... Gas is very high in this town. Gf boy 900sq ft Tight house will run high 300.00+ this time of year. Cord last him 6 weeks. For us good wood is very easy to find. 300-500 is not.

Jay, that is tough. Glad you got through the night!

I got up once during the night and turned the stove up a bit and thought maybe if I got up around 4-5:00 I would add more wood. I slept in! A bit cool in here for a while but nice and toasty now.

As for how much wood. We used to burn 6 and now 3. Our neighbor used to burn 6 and now he has an OWB and burns at least 17 cord per year! That's almost 6 times more than us. He thinks he will go close to 20 cord this year!

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, that is tough. Glad you got through the night!

I got up once during the night and turned the stove up a bit and thought maybe if I got up around 4-5:00 I would add more wood. I slept in! A bit cool in here for a while but nice and toasty now.

As for how much wood. We used to burn 6 and now 3. Our neighbor used to burn 6 and now he has an OWB and burns at least 17 cord per year! That's almost 6 times more than us. He thinks he will go close to 20 cord this year!

lol 20 a very big number! Stacking and more season time will improve my numbers by atleast 2 cords. Just depends on how quick we get 20's back as a norm. 20 percent less wood this year and still time to improve on it.

Today the winds are way down 0-7 mph makes it much easier!

Yesterday we entertained a friend we haven't seen in almost 20 years. After she left, I filled the stove at 9 PM, and then Lady BK and I decided to finish off the last bottle of Cabernet. The intention was to drop a few huge splits on top just before we went to bed, but the wine did me in and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Talk about sleeping in. I just woke up an hour ago at 10 AM! 13 hours... way too long for my stove in this weather. It was down to 65º, coldest morning in here so far this season. I better get humping getting this place hot today. They raised the ante with the deep freeze prediction. We're supposed to go down to -22ºF tonight. That's gonna make the stove winch. Only way I'll keep up with it is to do a 3 AM reload, and that ain't happening. It'll be down in the lower 60's in here tomorrow morning, but this thing is just passing through, so I'll just ride it out for a day or so.

I supposed I shouldn't complain. Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks is supposed to hit -37º. I believe we have a few members up that way. Stupid as it may seem, I envy them a bit. I've never experienced temps that cold in my life. I'd like to go outside and see what it feels like.

Battenkiller said:
Yesterday we entertained a friend we haven't seen in almost 20 years. After she left, I filled the stove at 9 PM, and then Lady BK and I decided to finish off the last bottle of Cabernet. The intention was to drop a few huge splits on top just before we went to bed, but the wine did me in and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Talk about sleeping in. I just woke up an hour ago at 10 AM! 13 hours... way too long for my stove in this weather. It was down to 65º, coldest morning in here so far this season. I better get humping getting this place hot today. They raised the ante with the deep freeze prediction. We're supposed to go down to -22ºF tonight. That's gonna make the stove winch. Only way I'll keep up with it is to do a 3 AM reload, and that ain't happening. It'll be down in the lower 60's in here tomorrow morning, but this thing is just passing through, so I'll just ride it out for a day or so.

I supposed I shouldn't complain. Tupper Lake in the Adirondacks is supposed to hit -37º. I believe we have a few members up that way. Stupid as it may seem, I envy them a bit. I've never experienced temps that cold in my life. I'd like to go outside and see what it feels like.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.