yeah another eko door seal thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also purchased one from New Horizon. Have not installed yet....but it certainly looks better than the old one assuming I can squeeze it into the gap!

Medman and I both bought the inducer as well. His is installed, mine is ready to install. I am not at all impressed with the quality. Mine got busted up pretty good in transit as well. Took a fair amount of hammering on it to get the thing to spin properly. But if it works....it "might" be worth the money....

The door seal is good quality and just fits into the gap. It is hard to close the top door with the new seal, even with the hinges backed out several turns. I haven't fired the unit since installing the seal or draft inducer, and I'm hoping the heat will make the seal fit a little better.
The draft inducer has been used by deerefanatic - he believes it works well. I will have to wait and see. I can't fire my boiler at the moment as I have the piping apart to correct some leaks. Probably within the next two weeks I will be firing again, if just to test my new configuration. Right now I don't need the heat, thank goodness!

Yep, I've burned 3 fires in mine and I can open the firebox with a partial load and get minimal smoke out the door.... And I have a less than ideal chimney setup.. (Goes straight out the back of the boiler for 3 feet, then tee'd up and goes up about 15 feet before ending.....)

Just ordered my new door seal from Zennon great guy and very helpful. looking forward to getting the new seal. I wanted to get the draft unducer as well but for now the finances wont allow for that but I will deffintily be ordering all my stuff from him now. the guy I bought my boiler from wanted 2 times as much for the door gasket! What is even more unbelievable. is that I am the guy that told him where to get the new gasket material from! Oh well what can ya do.

I got a higher price quote from the guy I got the boiler from also ????

Got my damper and door gasket in and the inducer looks just like pics from medman no problem there . The gasket does not look like what I expected it's much larger measures 1 1/8 diameter and is fiberglass like inner with a rubbery salmon colored outer coating. Is this correct it appears too large to fit in the door ?
Its HUGE . I don't need it right now but I want to make sure its the right item.
Will take a picture if it will help.

Tony H said:
I got a higher price quote from the guy I got the boiler from also ????

Got my damper and door gasket in and the inducer looks just like pics from medman no problem there . The gasket does not look like what I expected it's much larger measures 1 1/8 diameter and is fiberglass like inner with a rubbery salmon colored outer coating. Is this correct it appears too large to fit in the door ?
Its HUGE . I don't need it right now but I want to make sure its the right item.
Will take a picture if it will help.

I saw a sample that the Orlan Eko guys were showing up at the ME. Woodsman shows, and that description is about what I saw.... Big fat rubber coated sausage... Don't know how it fits, but presumably it will squeeze into the groove...

Gooserider

I hav installed the gasket - pics are in another thread. I had to back the door hinges out a few turns, and it is still tight. The gasket fits in the groove nicely, but the door is a little hard to close - I had to push on it a bit. I think it will settle into the groove with some heat, but I have not had a chance to fire the boiler yet to find out.

One thing you guys have to keep in mind is that Zenon, although he's a nice guy, will undercut his dealers every chance he gets... I'm pretty sure his dealers don't get that door gasket for any less than $35 minimum...... So they HAVE to charge more than Zenon in order to even make it worth their while... That's basically why Eko-Orlan USA exists is because zenon is slowly putting his dealers out of business, and of course, he can't personally help you with any problems you might have like a local dealer could........

But, enough of that. I will be getting one of these gasketes sometime soon, but it will be through my dealer (Cozy Heat).. That is, unless I finally bite the bullet and become a dealer myself. (All things I said above aside, the area I live in NEEDS a dealer... NOBODY up here has even HEARD of a gasification boiler.... And no, I won't be a Paxo dealer..... I've already had it out with them...)

I have to disagree! I can see making a few bucks on a gasket but for instance it was breaking down to 2 bucks an inch for the seal! that is nuts any way you cut it. I am sure zenon is making a couple bucks off of the sale of his gaskets at 1 dollar an inch. the cost of the gasket is probably substantially lower. But at least zenon does not see a demand and go right to price gouge mode! It sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize putting the screws to your possible future customers if you start a business hopefully you rethink that strategy before you start up. Too many people are taking the oil company busioness strategy see a demand and ream for all you can get! ok I am getting off the soap box now.....

shoeboxlen said:
I have to disagree! I can see making a few bucks on a gasket but for instance it was breaking down to 2 bucks an inch for the seal! that is nuts any way you cut it. I am sure zenon is making a couple bucks off of the sale of his gaskets at 1 dollar an inch. the cost of the gasket is probably substantially lower. But at least zenon does not see a demand and go right to price gouge mode! It sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize putting the screws to your possible future customers if you start a business hopefully you rethink that strategy before you start up. Too many people are taking the oil company busioness strategy see a demand and ream for all you can get! ok I am getting off the soap box now.....

Sadly it's not as easy as this. A business has to look at the cost to buy that gasket, the cost to carry that gasket and the cost to sell that gasket. Once all of the true "costs" are loaded then you add some margin. 50% margin is probably on the low side for typical aftermarket service type items.

It's really not Zenon's fault for this situation, it's Orlan's fault. They should have better control over their dealers/distributors. Having one dealer that can sell direct to end-users AND sell to the other dealers is a bad setup no matter which way you look at it....

Back on the subject of the gasket itself - I lit my first fire last night and quickly realized that I backed the door hinges out too much. I had a smoke leak from the hinge side for the whole burn. I am going to adjust it tonight, but I don't know if I will be able to close the door with the hinges turned in more.

I also have smoke leaking from the plate on the top of the HX tubes - I might need a new gasket here too.
The inducer is a great way to find any leaks in your chimney, too!

Hah - +1 on the inducer helping to find leaks. I was blowing fly ash out of my Class A seams this past weekend during my test run.

Have you considered throwing some RTV on your HX access panel? Cheaper than a new gasket I'd bet.....

I'm still two weeks from burning...at least. I'm going to install the gasket this weekend.

I am still waiting on my seal I am planning on starting my burn season in early to mid november. I am holding off ont he draft inducer for now as I just put the barometric damper in so I will see how that effects things.

I might put RTV on the seal - I put it on all the joints on my flue pipe already, as well as the front fan cover gasket. Just wondering, how well does the red stuff come off when you need to service the boiler? Easy to remove and replace?

I use some generic black RTV sealant from grainger.com. It is very easy to remove for servicing. It peels off pretty easily once it's been cured and cooked for a while. I wouldn't hesitate to put it somewhere that needs to be serviced. That being said - your red stuff may be a lot more fancy than my black stuff!

I'm going to deviate for just a second here:

shoeboxlen:

I have never and will never condone price gouging...... What I'm getting at is if Zenon sells you the gasket for $38, and sells it to me for say, $30, I really can't afford to turn around and sell it to you for $38.... So then Zenon is undercutting me........

BUT, I don't stand here and say that gives a guy the right to charge you $76 for the gasket either!!!

Personally, as a side note, I won't pay even $30 for the gasket..... I'll buy the fiberglass and silicone locally and make my own when the time comes as folks have had good results doing it........

As another option, if you do some searching in the older threads on this subject, you will find a link to the stuff that the EKO gaskets are apparently made from, and it may be possible to get some directly from that source, or from some non-EKO related dealer...

Gooserider

1. Gasket material is available from other sources, but any I have found require a minimum order - around 100 feet or so.

2. Red sealant is rated for 600*F, black for 450*F, otherwise, I don't see a difference. It is really sticky and doesn't wipe off cleanly like regular silicone - very messy!

Status
Not open for further replies.