Yeah, sorry...the shop ordered the wrong hopper size so we need to come back after New Years.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not on my watch...

Harman P35i 23.5 to 19.5 hopper conversion..

First, mark the height

2011-12-21_11-48-22_579.jpg

Then, cut out the shape. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE HOPPER LID SWITCH CORD BEFORE CUTTING!!!!! Notice that I have my vacuum running at the base of the hopper.

2011-12-21_12-00-09_606.jpg

Remove the side walls and flip the shape up-side-down. I Cut off the 90° fold tabs.

2011-12-21_12-00-28_184.jpg

Seam tape the hopper closed and re-install the hopper lid switch cord.

2011-12-21_13-12-28_528.jpg

What was the reason for doing this?

You better be careful Scott, our resident tin knocker will worry about his retirement plans.

That is what I suspected. Nice tin work by the way.

smoke show said:
Any liability concerns with this modification?
Sure. If it done wrong and air leaks into the hopper you could have a hopper fire. From a warranty aspect....I would imagine i just nulled it. Given that i will be the tech to service this thing, should there be a problem I will take the responsibilty....but I know what Im doing, so realisticly, there will be no problem. The hopper is more air tight now than before.

smwilliamson said:
smoke show said:
Sure. If it done wrong and air leaks into the hopper you could have a hopper fire. From a warranty aspect....I would imagine i just nulled it.

Can't you just replace it when the official Harman part comes in?

slangtruth said:
smwilliamson said:
smoke show said:
Sure. If it done wrong and air leaks into the hopper you could have a hopper fire. From a warranty aspect....I would imagine i just nulled it.

Can't you just replace it when the official Harman part comes in?
The official harman part is another stove with the right size hopper. Its not just a plug and play exchange. The entire hopper is riveted and glued. Besides....the guy waited a while already and he wanted to to get it in. Cutting the hopper down was one suggestion i have him...first being that weneeded to come back with another stove.

Very resourceful! Many installers would just say 'Sorry'......

Status
Not open for further replies.