Yee-ha! (and tree ID)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootlegger

Two large trees, one uprooted and headed toward the house with only one tree holding it back. Another giant, double trunk, half dead and leaning toward the house. Got 'em both dropped for $400 today. Otherwise, free wood!
4118500256_9bac6eff1a.jpg

4117732333_9aff291df1.jpg

4118497134_4b0e55ef3e.jpg

Since I know everyone likes to play Name That Species, here are some close ups. I know the big one for sure, and I know from the leaves the genus of the other. Enjoy.
The "big" one.
4117726881_5922946389.jpg

The "other" one.
4118495578_45ab049f02.jpg

4118498808_0137693867.jpg

I second the second ID - looks like red maple to me. The first one I am not sure about.

The other pics didn't turn out, there is some huge shadow in the way. I'll get one of the big 'un tomorrow in the daylight after the monster goes away:

4117728503_bc2d3fbf2b_b.jpg

Wood Duck said:
I second the second ID - looks like red maple to me. The first one I am not sure about.

I knew from the leaves it was Acer, and I do have lots of Acer rubrum. So its a "soft maple", does this mean it doesn't burn as well? Doesn't matter, I'll burn it.

I figured the bigger tree would be harder to ID. I'll get some better closeups in the morning.

Not sure on the first one-Oak, Hickory perhaps. But I'm pretty certain that the second one is Silver Maple. Post a picture of the first one when you get it split up...

the frist one tulip or ash

Acer is correct for the second, though I don't know which one. Maple is prolific in my woods, though not long-lived. All the down trees are maple and poplar.

But the big 'un is stumping y'all so far. It won't be split for a year, it will sit in log form on my pallet stack until next summer. That's wood for 2-3 years out.
So here's some more pics, best I can do.
4119247267_06277012a4.jpg

4119247971_6f88641d2a.jpg

4120024726_f95489fa0e.jpg

4120025438_8963f9ee9c.jpg

4120026186_a22c9ecf57.jpg

4119250995_5063ace5a8.jpg

Another hint:
It's the dominant species on my west facing knob, though a forester friend tells me its rare to find it as the dominant species. Its not rare as a species, just usually not the most numerous on a site.

Chestnut Oak - more typical of a rocky forest/montainous area found often in conjunction with Hemlock [Oak-Hemlock forests are abundant enough int he northeast].

Big one looks like the oak I'm splitting. Tree guy says there are 40 varieties of oak. What do i know? Does it smell? My whole yard smells from my oak splits. Other one is a maple.

I second the chestnut oak. Should be beautiful wood if thats what it is. From a board perspective not firewood.

CTwoodburner said:
Chestnut Oak - more typical of a rocky forest/montainous area found often in conjunction with Hemlock [Oak-Hemlock forests are abundant enough int he northeast].

We have a winner! They outnumber my white oaks 2:1, with a handful of red and a few black oaks. No hemlock though lots of sassafras, maple and poplar. and there use to be a lot of cherry and cedar but that was taken decades ago and only now starting to come back. Very little ash, I've found only one. The oak and hickory dominate.

gzecc said:
I second the chestnut oak. Should be beautiful wood if thats what it is. From a board perspective not firewood.

Do you think those trunks are big enough for saw logs? I have plenty of firewood, I could save the chestnut oak for the sawyer.

4118497134_4b0e55ef3e.jpg

yeah, CT is right, your oak is definitely chestnut oak, for sure. Chestnut oak is a species of white oak, good wood. and yeah, that smaller one is a red maple.

They are very small, but I am a carpenter and probably would make a few board.

Chestnut Oak is a dominant species here in central PA on dry, acid-soil ridgetops, which means most of the ridgetops. It has a thicker bark than some of the other oaks around here, but the wood seems just as dense. Red Maple will burn very nicely. It isn't as dense as Sugar maple, but still a nice firewood. It seasons a lot faster than oak or hard maple, so should be nice and dry by next year if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.