Yellow Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Just cut 2 truck loads of Yellow locust and holy heck is it rough on chains. It dosn't chip it creates dust. Hope it burns good I have no
experiance with this type of wood.Picturs comming soon

Yeah, even with the large chips flying off the saw there sure is a bunch of dust along with it...

For some reason, muck of the tree damage i see from Irene is locust here. Good for me as i just spotted another 1/2 cord or so this morning...

Cutting a wedge out for felling is even worse!

Interesting that you call it Yellow Locust. In most locations the most popular common name is Black Locust. Anyway, it is dense and hard.....for sure hard on chains, but it will pay off when you put it in the stove :)

estang said:
Just cut 2 truck loads of Yellow locust and holy heck is it rough on chains. It dosn't chip it creates dust. Hope it burns good I have no

So it's not just me! Last night when I was noodling some big locust, all I was creating was dust. I was waiting for the big chips that you usually get, but I got NONE w/ the locust, only dust (and a few sparks once!)

K

Try filing your rakers down a bit!

kmmuellr said:
estang said:

So it's not just me! Last night when I was noodling some big locust, all I was creating was dust. I was waiting for the big chips that you usually get, but I got NONE w/ the locust, only dust (and a few sparks once!)

K

lol hedge is even worse. Seems around here you find one you will find the other!

nrford said:

New chain shouldnt need filed yet!!

estang said:
nrford said:

Whole different beast is all! ;-) On the noddle.....

smokinjay said:
estang said:
nrford said:

I will KO the rakers on a new chain. Sometimes they aren't as sharp as you might think too.

but I buy cheap chains...

estang did the trees you knocked down look like these? had the same problem with dust and alot of sparks flying ;-)

loon

DSC09972-1.jpg

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:
nrford said:

I will KO the rakers on a new chain. Sometimes they aren't as sharp as you might think too.

Should have made you cut that locust....lol Even with a 460 and 20 inch bar and a perfect chain its still tough. I made a thread about that when we where knocking out all that locust.
Just is what it is, some of it was hedge to.

loon said:
estang did the trees you knocked down look like these? had the same problem with dust and alot of sparks flying ;-)

loon

DSC09972-1.jpg

They were dead on the ground, Looke alot like that not straight at all. The cool part is I split some up tonight an m/c arround 15% I'm Burning this year :cheese:

estang said:
nrford said:

Actually, "new" doesn't mean "sharp." With BL, chain should be razor-sharp. It pays to hand-file it at least every couple of tanks; I find that if I do that, I see much more chips than dust.

With BL, you don't want to take the depth-gauges below .025" below cutters, unless you want to learn the Texas Two-Step.

CTYank said:
estang said:
nrford said:
Try filing your raker down a bit!

Actually, "new" doesn't mean "sharp." With BL, chain should be razor-sharp. It pays to hand-file it at least every couple of tanks; I find that if I do that, I see much more chips than dust.

With BL, you don't want to take the depth-gauges below .025" below cutters, unless you want to learn the Texas Two-Step.

New is not perfect but better than almost anyone I know can file. Other than shaving the rib-bets and using a goofy file with a nice slop back raker, good enough!! :lol:

estang said:
loon said:

loon

They were dead on the ground, Looke alot like that not straight at all. The cool part is I split some up tonight an m/c arround 15% I'm Burning this year :cheese:

it sure is a quick drying wood eh ;-) stacked some lastnite and the other stuff i split about 2 months ago is already brown instead of yellow/green :)

have enough to make a wall to that tree and will be heading back down the road to cut a few more trees for my neighbor clearing his lot..
wont need this wood for a couple years though..

loon

DSC09879-1.jpg

tfdchief said:
Interesting that you call it Yellow Locust. In most locations the most popular common name is Black Locust. Anyway, it is dense and hard.....for sure hard on chains, but it will pay off when you put it in the stove :)

I've always wondered why it's called black locust since the wood is yellow. ;)

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:
nrford said:

Should have made you cut that locust....lol Even with a 460 and 20 inch bar and a perfect chain its still tough. I made a thread about that when we where knocking out all that locust.

I'm content on running it to the splitter and tossing it in the trailer. LOL
that stuff sure split nice though. and it looks good to go for the winter has for a while.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
estang said:
nrford" date="1314918886 said:

I'm content on running it to the splitter and tossing it in the trailer. LOL
that stuff sure split nice though. and it looks good to go for the winter has for a while.

You and Thomas on the splitter makes a fast crew for sure! Close to 2 cords and hour in that soup bowl is rockin! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.