Yep, another Lopi/Avalon insert Q&A;

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamkam

Aug 1, 2008
SW Conn.
Our research: I've been reading a lot here, inc. some threads from earlier in the year. Seems there's a lot of love for the PE Summit especially. Only problem is now around here they're as scarce as Republicans in San Francisco. Local dealer says they're about 4-6 weeks to deliver and there's no guarantee on that, either, if we plunk down a deposit, so could be left with chilly feet and nothing if I hold out. SO, options seem to remain from another dealer who has the following in stock:

Lopi Freedom

Avalon Olympic

Jotul 550..which as of now I've kinda rejected as an effective potential whole-house heater due to it being flush and a relative smallish firebox.

So, keeping that in mind,

Our house: 2300 SF Raised ranch, masonry fireplace in the family room, lower level w/ open stairwell 14 feet away to upper floor w/ BRs and kitchen, LR directly above. Paddle fans upstairs to help circulate.

Oh wise gurus, look into your crystal ball(s), is there a warm house w/ 75% reduction in oil consumption w/ either of these bad boys?

TIA.

jk

I think all 3 including the Jotul should have ~ 3cu ft fireboxes. All three should do the job very well.

PS: Looks like sonny hijacked your avatar :)

I looked at the Jotul 550 and was suprised how shallow the firebox is (altho it's wider than most to fit longer logs (24"), not sure if it will hold as long as the Olympic or Freedom. Guess I need a new identity already! Thanks for the headsup.

Just kidding about the avatar. It was fine.

The 550 is new, but so far the owners reporting in are pleased with it. I saw you eying the Hampton too. I think that has a bit smaller firebox (2.5 cu ft?) But it's a very nice looking unit for sure.

Get the stove you want the most. 4-6 weeks isn't that bad if the PE is your goal. But the Olympic is a nice beast too. It will definitely put out the heat.

The Olympic club is a fine club to be in. I am sure you will hear that echoed a few times once this thread is done. I pump out a ton of heat on 4.5 cords...that is for sure.

The Olympic does look like a beast, heat-wise and boxiness-wise. Seems like we can't make a bad choice w/ this lot. New contender, the Regency, too. Thanks, y'all.

Get the Olympic and let the PE crowd eat their hearts out. :)

OK now maybe I am the perfect guy to help you out or maybe not the perfect guy :cheese: . I have both of these stoves in freestanding not insert, but my father in law has the insert from Avalon and absolutely loves it. This is really the reason why I finally broke down and bought the Avalon Olympic, while still hanging on to the Summit.

Here is my comparison, and again I love both of these stoves so I am not bashing any of them.

Avalon is a little "harder" to load up fully with splits since it is really meant for East/West loads. Yes you can load N/S and many, including myself do, but you do not have the ability to load long splits in it. About 16 inch North/South burns and that is pretty damn close to the glass when you close it. But if you cut all your wood 15 or 16 inches you are going to have a hell of a lot of wood in it, pretty sweet. Avalon burns very hot, now maybe this is just my setup but it burns hotter than my Summit does. I can only compare this to my stove and my brother in laws stove, also a Summit. So I am comparing two Avalons against two Summits, please only take this as my opinion. The Avalon has a top bypass damper to stop puffbacks when you open the stove and it heats the stove up a little quicker if you keep it open when starting. The best benefit in my book is the ease of cleaning it. Just open the damper and Viola, the powdery black stuff falls into the stove when you clean the chimney. This is even easier than the Summit but the Summit is just as simple, take out the pin and take out the baffle and you are done, so also Viola. The Summit really does not need a bypass damper, with good wood you won't see any puffbacks. Glass stays a little cleaner on the Summit than on the Avalon and I am pushing it here.... I am talking about a slight gray on the corners of the Avalon against a small black spot on the Summit. Don't put too much stock in this as this is obviously the way I burn the stoves.

The Summit is so easy to burn even a Caveman can do it (Where the hell is that man, I am sure he will chime in soon). The EBT, Extended Burn Tech, is very sweet. I work eight hours shifts and it is nice to char the wood, get her hot, and then shut her down all the way and the let the EBT do the rest while I am gone. You will get hot coals easily after 8 hours. The Avalon is a little different to do, still no problem getting that overnight or overwork :lol: burns. On the Avalon I have noticed that on mine and my father in laws you have to shut the stove down in stages. Still the same result as the Summit, but again for guys like me that can't wait, I choose the EBT. One more thing, I can guarantee you won't have any pieces of wood left over in the Summit, I have seen (now again this is really pushing it) some small pieces, microscopic even :cheese: , in the Avalon when I left her completely out. Again this may be pushing it...

Price: With gold door, ash pan, blower, and pedestal the Summit is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Avalon. If you have the cash, well you decided :)

Door opens from the left on the Avalon, on the right on the Summit, big deal? probably not.

Blowers are about the same, the Summit you can keep it on all the time along with Rheostat, but the Avalon only has rheostat. I am going to tinker with mine and but a switch on it so I can do both. My Avalon comes on at about 450 which is a little late in my book, therefore I put a switch...... Both very nice blowers overall.

Glass, viewing area bout the same on both

While I understand the BTU rating is higher on the Summit than on the Avalon I would not put too much emphasis on this. Both are beasts that will burn as hot as you need. Like I have said I think the Avalon burns a little hotter than the Summit, but the Summit will(might) get you a longer burn. I have heard some members in my "PE Summit Crew" get 13 -15 hours with coals, WOW. I am not that "good" with the stove, yet, and so my burns are shorter. I know some Avalon guys get really long burns too like Adirondack wood burner does.

Can't figure out what one I prefer? I prefer having both stoves and it is that simple. It is like having pizza and Buffalo wings, both are great!

Quite the problem to have in choosing between the two, right? Not at all, you are in a good situation and simply cannot lose

Remember these are only my views of these stoves (some may agree, some may not) and I am not an expect at all, just a guy that waits for cold days and nights even in the summer to start a fire in the stove. Yes I know I have a problem, many of us do :cheese: Thank goodness I am married and have one son to pass on all of my "obsessions" too

Choose the one you really like and you will be fine. Like BG said 4 to 6 weeks is not bad. You could always be a squeaky wheel and maybe you will get it faster. I recommend going to the store everyday in about 3 weeks and just hang around (loiter even...). They will get so sick of looking at you they will do that install just as quick as a :cheese: fly to sh..t. If does work try the non-shower, non-brush your teeth move and be a "Seinfeld" close talker. Oh ya that will work faster :lol:

Thanks, JFK, just in time! appreciate your detailed reply indeed. We're heading up today to New Milford to look at the two stores/stoves. Don't know that I can hang out there waiting for our bad boy to pull in on a semi but I may just opt for the Avalon as the chap up there has them in stock! Oh yeah, to make matters more confusing, I'm a lefty!

Oh yeah, looked at the links. That your Summit? I think I like the front of it a bit better...and I like your soundtrack, too!

oh man, the PE is literally an RCH from not fitting. We will prob go with it on looks design and slight better price than the Olympic.

JFK said:

Being a family forum I PM'ed you a translation. :lol:

jamkam said:
oh man, the PE is literally an RCH from not fitting. We will prob go with it on looks design and slight better price than the Olympic.

Are you going with the gold trim (or nickel), worth the extra cash in my book since you will have this beast for a very, very long time. You might want to purchase some extra gaskets for the baffle as these will usually need to be replaced once a year, about 2 bucks each so no worries :)

Hey, you should be getting a way better price on the Summit than the Avalon, I am talking about a $500 difference at least. Correct?

BrotherBart said:
JFK said:

Being a family forum I PM'ed you a translation. :lol:

I can give you the Spanish translation if required. :)

jamkam said:

Where is the clearance issue? How close? I thought I was going to be cheating on the T6 and it turned out to be a non-issue. I ended up exceeding clearances instead.

The crucial clearance is front to back. The PE Summit needs 17 3/4 @ 23 1/8 height on the top of the Summit. Our fireplace slopes upward around the 6th course of brick and it's so close. Dealer says it may protrude an 1/8" -- it looks like we have 17 5/8!! The width opening is even closer; we have 34 9/16 and the Summit needs 34 5/8. Geez I've heard of RCHs I shoulda said nano RCH.

It is not a big deal if the surround doesn't fit tight. The gap can be filled with black silicone if it's only 1/8" or with a strip of aluminum flat or angle stock (attached to the back of the surround and painted black) if it is much thicker.

The width is the harder issue. Sometimes you can chip off a veneer of cement covering the frame and gain an 1/8" on each side. But it may be too tight. Ideally you want some wiggle room which would mean 35" wide. Post a picture and maybe we will see an option not discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.