Yes Another Flue Temp Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I have heated my house for 8yrs. 2 seasons ago I acquired an old Nashua off a neighbor. Nice stove and really pours out the heat. Problem is creosote. Its only the dry flaky kind but with the old stove I could keep the stove pipe and chimney hot enough to keep it burned out. With this old technology its so efficient I can't get stove pipe hot even with the stove top temps as high as 700 degrees. The old stove basically only ran about 100 degrees surface temp cooler than stove top temp. The delta on the Nashua is huge. I'm guessing the flue temp is obviously low but how can I raise it? I don't want to go above 700 on the stove as most might say that is overfiring as it is. My normal stove top temp is 500.

I have an old Nashua and heated with it for 30 years, never had a problem with flue temps as that is how I burnt it using a flue temp sensor, never had creosote to speak of and 30 year old stove pipe looks like new. Do you have the one that blows air through the baffle above the fire?

No one usually checked the stove top temp on the old stoves.

I think this depends on the manufacturer. VC used to supply a stove top thermometer with their stoves with guidance for stove top temps. We still have ours. Hearthstone recommended stove top temp and stack temp.

BeGreen said:
I think this depends on the manufacturer. VC used to supply a stove top thermometer with their stoves with guidance for stove top temps. We still have ours.
I never heard of it on the nashua but info 30 years ago was harder to come by.

True, true. I just looked at the old Fisher manual and there is no mention of temperature on stove top or flue.

I just came out of the basement. 600degress stove top and 2 feet above the stove you can rest your hand on the pipe. Heat is just plain poring off. I'm wondering if the fact that I reduced the outlet pipe to 6" if its acting like a damper. Draft is still good though as the chimney is 35' above the stove pipe.

oldspark said:
I have an old Nashua and heated with it for 30 years, never had a problem with flue temps as that is how I burnt it using a flue temp sensor, never had creosote to speak of and 30 year old stove pipe looks like new. Do you have the one that blows air through the baffle above the fire?
Mine can blow out the sides but I removed the fan shortly after I got it. Honestly I can't tell the difference between fan and no fan. I assume you have a modern stove now. If so how does it compare to the Nashua. Since we heat our entire house with a wood stove I'm not opposed to spending some cash on something new, but they don't exactly give them away and would hate to spend a couple K only to find out they don't heat any better than my old Nashua. 2 yrs ago I delivered a cord of wood to someone. They invited us in to see their VC stove. Most beautiful work of art it was. Me and my wife both said on the way home ......nice stove but where was the heat.

wkpoor said:
oldspark said:
Mine can blow out the sides but I removed the fan shortly after I got it. Honestly I can't tell the difference between fan and no fan. I assume you have a modern stove now. If so how does it compare to the Nashua. Since we heat our entire house with a wood stove I'm not opposed to spending some cash on something new, but they don't exactly give them away and would hate to spend a couple K only to find out they don't heat any better than my old Nashua. 2 yrs ago I delivered a cord of wood to someone. They invited us in to see their VC stove. Most beautiful work of art it was. Me and my wife both said on the way home ......nice stove but where was the heat.
Oh boy, the Nashua put out a ton of heat and this will be the first full winter with the new stove, so far the PE Summit is a lot more subdued kind of heat, the house seems warmer in some places because of the heat being slower to move through the house. At first I was not impressed with the new stove but I will give it a fair chance, nothing wrong with the old stove I just thought I would cut back on wood usage as I got older and save some work. I used the fan on the nashua all the time and liked it, I remember on time I forgot to turn it on and the baffle was glowing. I do not understand why your flue temps are low, mine would go through the roof if I let it, my chimney is 7 1/4 in round so reduced it from the 8 inch at the thimble to chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.