1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Yes, another new guy looking for help/advice on the purchase of a wood buring insert (Jotul/Heathsto

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by cowtown, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Kodiak manual shows the outside air kit hooking up to the back of the pedestal on the freestanding model, so I think the answer is no on the OAK for the insert.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    This is kind of why I am leaning to the T5 - it is not that I am going to use outside air, but I have the option. Also with the T5 I will not need a mantle shield, with the Boston I will. I don't know what the mantle shield will look like, but if it attaches to my mantle, this would kill it right off the bat - no matter how good the unit is.
  3. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

How big is your house?
  4. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    About 3,200 sq feet (Main and upper). I also have a basement. I am using the insert not as my primary heater, just more to make the house comfortable (and for fun)
  5. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Is the budget preventing you from going after the T6? I understand it isn't the primary heater and it's for fun, but you would still get more bang out of it and the longer burn times come in handy once winter turns towards the dark side and become a fully operational Death Star.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot we were talking about the T5 insert. Sorry.
  6. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Cowtown,
    I've never cared for the looks of a mantle shield either. Since you are burning more for supplemental heat and ambiance, I don't know that milking every bit of firebox size out of your available space would do you any good. The T5 is capable heater based on everything I've seen here. It also looks very good, which seems important to you and your family. I've never seen one installed, so please post some install pics and pics of it in action.
  7. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    No T6 insert available. He's also working with very limited clearances, which is what is nice about the Enviro line up.
  8. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Yeah, I forgot we were talking about the insert.
  9. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada

I don't think the T6 in in an insert - I am looking at a T5 insert. If there is a T6 Insert, I would love to hear about it. Plus it doesn't get too cold up here in Calgary ;)
  10. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Again, I apologize. I forgot we were talking inserts.
  11. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Yes, the only thing that is holding me back right now from pulling the trigger is that when I am talking with dealer they don't know about the block off plate - also when I asked about the Liner and if it were insullated, the woman said "I don't think we have ever done that". So a bit scared - but in Calgary there are only two places that sell the T5 (I have contacted the other tonight).
  12. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    No worries - I really appreciate all the help!
  13. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    This is my install
    Enviro 1700 install
    It was very easy. It's not really in depth, but if you have any questions please ask. I think anyone could install one of these if they did their homework. Cutting out my damper and making my block off plate were the most time consuming parts. None of it was difficult though. You just need the right tools.
  14. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Wow - that is really good. I honestly don't think I am up for it. I might make the block off plate myself (much like you did).

Question, did you insulate the liner?
  15. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I really like how that looks!
  16. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    No, I didn't have the space for insulation. My flue tiles are 6.5x11 inside diameter. I ran a 5.5in. SS uninsulated liner down it. It's an interior chimney and my draft is really good. I had a 2 certified sweeps inspect it. I'd still might poor some vermiculite down around the liner, but it won't happen till next summer if I do.
  17. mhrischuk

mhrischuk Guest

I must have looked at the 1200. Sorry about that.
  18. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Okay got my quote on the Boston 1700 it is a hair lower, however, I have two concerns 1) Can it bring in outside air (I don't think it can) 2) I need mantle protection for my low clearance, do you or anyone on the forum have a picture of this?
  19. pharmsaler

pharmsaler Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    I am unsure of your obsession with an outside air kit? If your house is that tight, maybe made of insulated concrete forms, or structurally insulated panels. Or have spray foam every where? There should be no need for an OAK. If your house is that tight then you should have a fresh air exchanger in the house that should be enough to supply air to the stove. You should always have a co2 detector to show depleted amounts of o2.

A mantle protection deflector? I don't think Enviro makes one. Worst case take a piece of flat steel and paint it the color of your mantel then attach it to the under side. I think the clearance amounts are 18-20 inches above the fireplace. Please don't take these as gospel I am going by memory.
  20. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    The Enviro can't bring in outside air. As pharmsaler said, I don't think Enviro makes one. Shouldn't be to hard to design though. Come up with the dimensions and have a local fabrication shop make it.
  21. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Really appreciate the feedback. To me outside air makes sense. In the 1700 manual it says you might have to crack a window, in my mind, why do this if I just hit is with outside air? I am by far from an expert on the subject, but inside air to feed the insert would draw air from inside the house, this air must be replaced; hence, it will pull air from the outside via gaps in my house. Why not just feed the unit with outside air, create positive pressure in the house, and push warm air to those gaps instead of pulling cold air from them? My furnaces has air from the outside to feed them, why not my fireplace insert?
  22. cowtown

cowtown Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    That is a good idea, outside air is really a "hot button" here on the forum. Not sure if I need it, but to me it makes logical sense.

Either way I go, I might bother you about making the block-off plate and what material you used.
  23. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    No problem
  24. pharmsaler

pharmsaler Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    Just got done reading my install manual for the Enviro boston 1700. The clearances to the bottome of the mantel on the 1700 is 24" and on the 1200 it is 18". This of course is from the top of the stove. I measured my, which is still in the crate and from the top of the stove to the surround is nearly 12". so from the top of the surround it would be approx. 12"

I will post pictures later tonight on the fireplace, although it is still in the crate. and oh...my it is a heavy SOB.....
  25. pharmsaler

pharmsaler Member

Loc:
    Western PA