Yes, another new guy looking for help/advice on the purchase of a wood buring insert (Jotul/Heathsto

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodiak manual shows the outside air kit hooking up to the back of the pedestal on the freestanding model, so I think the answer is no on the OAK for the insert.

kingquad said:
Kodiak manual shows the outside air kit hooking up to the back of the pedestal on the freestanding model, so I think the answer is no on the OAK for the insert.

This is kind of why I am leaning to the T5 - it is not that I am going to use outside air, but I have the option. Also with the T5 I will not need a mantle shield, with the Boston I will. I don't know what the mantle shield will look like, but if it attaches to my mantle, this would kill it right off the bat - no matter how good the unit is.

cowtown said:
kingquad said:

This is kind of why I am leaning to the T5 - it is not that I am going to use outside air, but I have the option. Also with the T5 I will not need a mantle shield, with the Boston I will. I don't know what the mantle shield will look like, but if it attaches to my mantle, this would kill it right off the bat - no matter how good the unit is.

How big is your house?

BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:

How big is your house?

About 3,200 sq feet (Main and upper). I also have a basement. I am using the insert not as my primary heater, just more to make the house comfortable (and for fun)

cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:

How big is your house?

About 3,200 sq feet (Main and upper). I also have a basement. I am using the insert not as my primary heater, just more to make the house comfortable (and for fun)

Is the budget preventing you from going after the T6? I understand it isn't the primary heater and it's for fun, but you would still get more bang out of it and the longer burn times come in handy once winter turns towards the dark side and become a fully operational Death Star.

EDIT: Wait, I forgot we were talking about the T5 insert. Sorry.

Cowtown,
I've never cared for the looks of a mantle shield either. Since you are burning more for supplemental heat and ambiance, I don't know that milking every bit of firebox size out of your available space would do you any good. The T5 is capable heater based on everything I've seen here. It also looks very good, which seems important to you and your family. I've never seen one installed, so please post some install pics and pics of it in action.

BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:

How big is your house?

Is the budget preventing you from going after the T6? I understand it isn't the primary heater and it's for fun, but you would still get more bang out of it and the longer burn times come in handy once winter turns towards the dark side and become a fully operational Death Star.
No T6 insert available. He's also working with very limited clearances, which is what is nice about the Enviro line up.

kingquad said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
kingquad" date="1315983131 said:

How big is your house?

No T6 insert available. He's also working with very limited clearances, which is what is nice about the Enviro line up.

Yeah, I forgot we were talking about the insert.

BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:

How big is your house?

I don't think the T6 in in an insert - I am looking at a T5 insert. If there is a T6 Insert, I would love to hear about it. Plus it doesn't get too cold up here in Calgary ;)

cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:

How big is your house?

I don't think the T6 in in an insert - I am looking at a T5 insert. If there is a T6 Insert, I would love to hear about it. Plus it doesn't get too cold up here in Calgary ;)

Again, I apologize. I forgot we were talking inserts.

kingquad said:
Cowtown,
I've never cared for the looks of a mantle shield either. Since you are burning more for supplemental heat and ambiance, I don't know that milking every bit of firebox size out of your available space would do you any good. The T5 is capable heater based on everything I've seen here. It also looks very good, which seems important to you and your family. I've never seen one installed, so please post some install pics and pics of it in action.

Yes, the only thing that is holding me back right now from pulling the trigger is that when I am talking with dealer they don't know about the block off plate - also when I asked about the Liner and if it were insullated, the woman said "I don't think we have ever done that". So a bit scared - but in Calgary there are only two places that sell the T5 (I have contacted the other tonight).

BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown said:
BrowningBAR said:
cowtown" date="1315983261 said:

How big is your house?

Again, I apologize. I forgot we were talking inserts.

No worries - I really appreciate all the help!

cowtown said:
kingquad said:
Cowtown,

Yes, the only thing that is holding me back right now from pulling the trigger is that when I am talking with dealer they don't know about the block off plate - also when I asked about the Liner and if it were insullated, the woman said "I don't think we have ever done that". So a bit scared - but in Calgary there are only two places that sell the T5 (I have contacted the other tonight).
This is my install
Enviro 1700 install
It was very easy. It's not really in depth, but if you have any questions please ask. I think anyone could install one of these if they did their homework. Cutting out my damper and making my block off plate were the most time consuming parts. None of it was difficult though. You just need the right tools.

kingquad said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:
Cowtown,

This is my install
Enviro 1700 install
It was very easy. It's not really in depth, but if you have any questions please ask. I think anyone could install one of these if they did their homework. Cutting out my damper and making my block off plate were the most time consuming parts. None of it was difficult though. You just need the right tools.

Wow - that is really good. I honestly don't think I am up for it. I might make the block off plate myself (much like you did).

Question, did you insulate the liner?

BeGreen said:
The Kodiak is their plain base model, but the Boston is a real beauty. Even my fussy wife could handle having one in the living room.

I really like how that looks!

cowtown said:
kingquad said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:
Cowtown,

This is my install
Enviro 1700 install

Wow - that is really good. I honestly don't think I am up for it. I might make the block off plate myself (much like you did).

No, I didn't have the space for insulation. My flue tiles are 6.5x11 inside diameter. I ran a 5.5in. SS uninsulated liner down it. It's an interior chimney and my draft is really good. I had a 2 certified sweeps inspect it. I'd still might poor some vermiculite down around the liner, but it won't happen till next summer if I do.

kingquad said:
mhrischuk said:
The Enviro is supposed to be real good but I didn't like the battle tank styling and the small firebox. A local stove shop that has been in the business for decades said they are very true to their specs. I went with the Hearthstone Clydesdale. I got the brown enamel. It's really a very high quality unit with best in class support. And it's beautiful! I particularly like the soapstone firebrick and the huge unobstructed glass door.

Stove $3300 delivered.
Insulated liner $457 shipped.

I did the install.
Enviro 1700 has the same size firebox as the Clydesdale. Clydesdale=2.4, 1700=2.5. Clydesdale is wider, 1700 is deeper, if I remember correctly. Maybe your thinking of the Enviro 1200. Battle tank styling rocks too. Perfect for my game room install. Something ornate would look too out of place. Different strokes and whatnot.

I must have looked at the 1200. Sorry about that.

kingquad said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:
cowtown said:
kingquad said:
Cowtown,

This is my install
Enviro 1700 install

No, I didn't have the space for insulation. My flue tiles are 6.5x11 inside diameter. I ran a 5.5in. SS uninsulated liner down it. It's an interior chimney and my draft is really good. I had a 2 certified sweeps inspect it. I'd still might poor some vermiculite down around the liner, but it won't happen till next summer if I do.

Okay got my quote on the Boston 1700 it is a hair lower, however, I have two concerns 1) Can it bring in outside air (I don't think it can) 2) I need mantle protection for my low clearance, do you or anyone on the forum have a picture of this?

I am unsure of your obsession with an outside air kit? If your house is that tight, maybe made of insulated concrete forms, or structurally insulated panels. Or have spray foam every where? There should be no need for an OAK. If your house is that tight then you should have a fresh air exchanger in the house that should be enough to supply air to the stove. You should always have a co2 detector to show depleted amounts of o2.

A mantle protection deflector? I don't think Enviro makes one. Worst case take a piece of flat steel and paint it the color of your mantel then attach it to the under side. I think the clearance amounts are 18-20 inches above the fireplace. Please don't take these as gospel I am going by memory.

The Enviro can't bring in outside air. As pharmsaler said, I don't think Enviro makes one. Shouldn't be to hard to design though. Come up with the dimensions and have a local fabrication shop make it.

pharmsaler said:
I am unsure of your obsession with an outside air kit? If your house is that tight, maybe made of insulated concrete forms, or structurally insulated panels. Or have spray foam every where? There should be no need for an OAK. If your house is that tight then you should have a fresh air exchanger in the house that should be enough to supply air to the stove. You should always have a co2 detector to show depleted amounts of o2.

A mantle protection deflector? I don't think Enviro makes one. Worst case take a piece of flat steel and paint it the color of your mantel then attach it to the under side. I think the clearance amounts are 18-20 inches above the fireplace. Please don't take these as gospel I am going by memory.

Really appreciate the feedback. To me outside air makes sense. In the 1700 manual it says you might have to crack a window, in my mind, why do this if I just hit is with outside air? I am by far from an expert on the subject, but inside air to feed the insert would draw air from inside the house, this air must be replaced; hence, it will pull air from the outside via gaps in my house. Why not just feed the unit with outside air, create positive pressure in the house, and push warm air to those gaps instead of pulling cold air from them? My furnaces has air from the outside to feed them, why not my fireplace insert?

kingquad said:
The Enviro can't bring in outside air. As pharmsaler said, I don't think Enviro makes one. Shouldn't be to hard to design though. Come up with the dimensions and have a local fabrication shop make it.

That is a good idea, outside air is really a "hot button" here on the forum. Not sure if I need it, but to me it makes logical sense.

Either way I go, I might bother you about making the block-off plate and what material you used.

cowtown said:
kingquad said:

That is a good idea, outside air is really a "hot button" here on the forum. Not sure if I need it, but to me it makes logical sense.

Either way I go, I might bother you about making the block-off plate and what material you used.
No problem

Just got done reading my install manual for the Enviro boston 1700. The clearances to the bottome of the mantel on the 1700 is 24" and on the 1200 it is 18". This of course is from the top of the stove. I measured my, which is still in the crate and from the top of the stove to the surround is nearly 12". so from the top of the surround it would be approx. 12"

I will post pictures later tonight on the fireplace, although it is still in the crate. and oh...my it is a heavy SOB.....

Status
Not open for further replies.