Yes, another new guy looking for help/advice on the purchase of a wood buring insert (Jotul/Heathsto

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pharmsaler said:
here is an interesting take on an outside air kit. It's almost the same in wether to insulate a liner or not....next year the same information will change again

http://woodheat.org/the-outdoor-air-myth-exposed.html

Thanks for this, not sure I am sold yet, but appriciate it.

Now about the liner - are you suggesting not to insulate it?

Everybody you talk to will tell you to insulate. I chose to NOT insulate mine. Here is Why: My fireplace is in the middle of the house and only the top 5 feet will stick out above the roof line and be exposed to colder temperatures. My chimney sweep/installer said he will insert rock wool above the damper and in the last 5 feet of the chimney, thus creating a dead space of air that is kept in the house structure it self. he said up until a few years he never insulated liners and never had a problem. Now all liner manufactures are reccomending to insulate.

My take would be that if your chimney is on the outside of the house and exposed to the direct outside air I would insulate it. The whole idea of insulating it is to keep the flue temps from decreasing to quickly and creating creosote.

Tough call... I saved $400 by not insulating

pharmsaler said:
Everybody you talk to will tell you to insulate. I chose to NOT insulate mine. Here is Why: My fireplace is in the middle of the house and only the top 5 feet will stick out above the roof line and be exposed to colder temperatures. My chimney sweep/installer said he will insert rock wool above the damper and in the last 5 feet of the chimney, thus creating a dead space of air that is kept in the house structure it self. he said up until a few years he never insulated liners and never had a problem. Now all liner manufactures are reccomending to insulate.

My take would be that if your chimney is on the outside of the house and exposed to the direct outside air I would insulate it. The whole idea of insulating it is to keep the flue temps from decreasing to quickly and creating creosote.

Tough call... I saved $400 by not insulating

I have an outside chimney - so I might insulate (but might not). One more for you - how about a block-off plate, from these forums it appears to be a must have.

Thanks for all your time/help.

Outside chimney= insulate + block off plate

Keep in mind---I am not an expert, I have done hours upon hours of research and reading. It probably took me a year to finally make a decision

pharmsaler said:
Outside chimney= insulate + block off plate

Keep in mind---I am not an expert, I have done hours upon hours of research and reading. It probably took me a year to finally make a decision

Pharmsaler - thanks for all the help.

I really appreciated your feedback, I started a new thread with the new issues i am facing. It you want to comment that would be great.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79115/

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.