Yes, another stove suggestion thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spendaviscpa

Aug 26, 2008
Northern California
A few days ago I posted about a snow wedge on a cabin in the mountains. What I REALLY wanted to talk about was wood stoves! I’m going through the process of trying to figure out what I want and what will work best for the cabin. Unfortunately, those don’t always go hand in hand. The cabin is about 1,350 sqft and sits at 5,000 feet in elevation. Lots of snow. I think a steel stove would be best because of the faster heat up. However, because of the cabin layout a stove that is "wider than deep" fits the space better. I can’t seem to find steel stoves with this configuration. I find lots of cast iron stoves like this.

The stove firebox has to be a minimum of 2.0 cubic feet. I’d prefer upper 2’s or even 3.0 cubic feet because the cabin has 17 windows and it gets really cold there.

Also, I have a Jotul F-500 at my residence. I cut my wood length in the low 20 inch range. Some longer and some shorter. I like the F-500. However, I want something different for the cabin and was hoping I would not have to reprocess firewood for another stove size.

I’d like to hear any suggestions you may have!

Thank you!

What size footprint are you looking to fit the stove in? Is it rear clearances that are causing you to look for a wider stove? For instance, the Republic only needs 4.5" rear clearance with double wall pipe.

eclecticcottage, thanks for the reply. Based on my math and the dimensions from the lopi site, the hearth pad would need to be 43.75 inches deep. Is that correct? If so, that’s on the lower end of some of the stoves I’ve been looking at. Some have been up in the 50+ inch range. For example, the Hearthstone Manchester was around 42 inches deep. I’m just looking for ideas and I’ll look at the Lopi brands a little closer. Thanks!

Last edited:
eclecticcottage, thanks for the reply. Based on my math and the dimensions from the lopi site, the hearth pad would need to be 43.75 inches deep. Is that correct? If so, that’s on the lower end of some of the stoves I’ve been looking at. Some have been up in the 50+ inch range. For example, the Hearthstone Manchester was around 42 inches deep. I’m just looking for ideas and I’ll look at the Lopi brands a little closer. Thanks!

No problem-I believe that's about right, I was going to guess 44/45 off the top of my head. It is also requires ember only hearth pad protection.

What is the floor made out of? If it isn't combustible, the size of the required hearth might be a non issue. Would a piece of sheet metal painted to match the floor be something you'd be adverse to? If it isn't obvious, and isn't a trip hazard, is it really there? Maybe Raybonz's list of stoves that only need ember protection would be worthwhile to look at. Also, will you be going into this space when it's 0F and need it to heat up fast? You might want more than 2cuft of firebox then. Also, is there a budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.