Yes, Firewood Grows On Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, you are right and if we did not have the time then we would stack in single rows. I've stacked in single, double, triple and more. I think the most rows I ever stacked together was around 25-30 or somewhere in that area. It all had plenty of time to dry and was all good. However, I don't normally stack that much together but won't hesitate if the need arises.

Clutter, you are right about dragging those logs out with the tractor. Saves a lot of work but just beware of dirt on the log. You can always roll the log over and scrape the dirt off before cutting so you won't have to spend so much time sharpening the chain. A wire brush works great for this.

Thanks, guys. Well, of course I'll be splitting all of that 1.5 cords of rounds very soon now. When I stack, you all now have me 'trained' to automatically allow a little breathing space between courses of wood. In time I think I'll get more into the practice of running a single stack all along the property line. For now, it's more like 'cubes' on pallets, but with at least some room between rows. In the photos above you can also see some of those rows of splits in the background. I have maybe 4-6 inches between those rows, accomplished with longer pieces that reach out to touch the next row, placed randomly as I stack.

If you refer back one page, those bigger 'cubes' of Red Oak were put up with criss cross stacking through and through- also there are spaces between the three cubes. I suspect that pile is able to breathe pretty good actually, just not as good as single rows do.

Backwoods Savage said:
Clutter, you are right about dragging those logs out with the tractor. Saves a lot of work but just beware of dirt on the log. You can always roll the log over and scrape the dirt off before cutting so you won't have to spend so much time sharpening the chain. A wire brush works great for this.

You're right, Dennis. One tree still left there, probably a Red Oak, was actually dragged out of the creek. I use sticks and a wire brush to clean it up and try to minimize the damage to my cutters. Still, I do see the occasional sparks fly, and I know it's hard on the chain. I plan to have to sharpen a little more often when I work with the ground contact stuff.

OTOH that old Locust I pulled out of there was horizontal but mostly off the ground, and it was just beautiful wood in every sense. Not very difficult to cut it up because it was clean and dry, with the bark mostly gone.

You are really on a mission....and gettin' it done!
I'm curious to know how well the stuff that's stacked close together dries. Dennis (and others) does this as well. Perhaps it dries so well just because of the time involved and/or the fact that some of what you're getting is dead already (ie:at least partially dry).
I prefer, and have the room, to stack in long rows to maximize sun and wind exposure. What ever works is good. :coolsmile:

PapaDave-

It's been two years now, and I will probably try a little of the wood from those 'cubes' this season. It's a nice feeling to know that I have enough seasoned for the coming winter. In fact, I'm probably somewhere between 2-3 years ahead. We keep having cold spells and I burn more than expected.
DSCF0648a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.