Yesterday: Hickory --- Today: Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We have some oak to split:

oak_2010_11_10.jpg

Oak - 23-1/2" diameter, 20" long

Makes my little 1970's Didier look really small! Yes, that is a Hoyer lift re-purposed for wood splitting, :)

Shari

Watch your fingers!

What's that you are about to split Shari? A big round of bitternut or something? Cheers!

Are you sure that is an oak? Maybe one of those midwest oak like Mossycup. I don't recognize the bark.

Wood Duck said:
Are you sure that is an oak? Maybe one of those midwest oak like Mossycup. I don't recognize the bark.

The picture could be somewhat misleading as the side shown is encrusted with mud - that was there when we picked it up. Did I mention this wood was free? :)

Shari

WOODBUTCHER said:
Hickory for sure.........

Woodbutcher

Take a look in the trailer - same wood as the round we are about to work on except this round has a weathered end from sitting around for a while.

Shari

HICK O' REE!

I defer to those of higher knowledge: What makes you think this is hickory? I ask because I just finished splitting around 2 cords of shagbark hickory and this looks nothing like the shagbark.

Shagbark has 'shaggy' bark, dark brown center. The round in the photo has a much thicker, non-shaggy bark and a dark gold center.

Shari

post a bunch of pics (some nice split pieces).......we'll solve this ID.

WoodButcher

Nice log lift. Good sized, straight and free are some of my favorite qualities in wood.

Shari said:
I defer to those of higher knowledge: What makes you think this is hickory? I ask because I just finished splitting around 2 cords of shagbark hickory and this looks nothing like the shagbark.

Shagbark has 'shaggy' bark, dark brown center. The round in the photo has a much thicker, non-shaggy bark and a dark gold center.

Shari

There are about 6 or 8 hickories here in PA, and probably about the same number of species in Wisconsin. Shagbark Hickory is the one most people recognize as hickory, and it is common and widespread. The log in your picture looks like it could be one of the lesser known, but not necessarily uncommon, hickories like Pignut, Mockernut, Bitternut, Pale Hickory, etc. I can't really say from the picture, except that it doesn't look like the Pignut Hickories growing here. As far as I know, the wood of all hickories is similar - dense, high BTU firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.