Yesterday's haul!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryjen

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2014
north carolina
It's time to start scavenging for wood in my area, and I wanted to share what I came across yesterday, because I was very excited. It took me 3 trips to get it all. White oak, felled by the power company as it was leaning over the lines and the road.

Trip 1:
IMG_1083.jpg

Trip 2:
IMG_1084.jpg

Trip 3:
IMG_1081.jpg

Can't wait to start splitting it and stacking it this evening to see how much I get!

Reactions: NickDL
ok. I'm not an arborist, nor am I well versed on tree identification....past knowing what a pine tree looks like. So I will go with you on this one.

I'm thinking poplar too but would need some better pics to be sure. Either way it will burn so congrats on your score!

That's oak. Looks like white or maybe a red type. White oak has the rough bark with some smoother bark on smaller branches. The crooked upper branches are typical. If it was poplar it would be much lighter than oak.

Nice haul!

Not an Oak for sure!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If it's oak it will have a very noticeable smell and with that much you could smell it at 100 yards. Some say it smells like vanilla, to me it just smells like oak!

No smell to speak of really. Again, I have to trust you experts on exact identification. However, my mind says it's heavy, dense, and will burn quite nicely in a year or two.

Its ash of some type

Its ash of some type

I'd go with ash too before oak.... Look for the pinhole in the very center of the rounds or if there limbs with branches look for opposite branching, both traits of ash.

Agreed, not oak

I also thought the bark was reminiscent of ash, but the brown splotches on the end grain of some of those rounds looks like gum...

Maybe tulip poplar..heres some white oak with a little red in the backround

Attachments

• 20140111_121406.jpg
    20140111_121406.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 124
Some pics of splits from various-sized rounds (trunk, 8" round) would help with ID. As for amount, I'd say that's gotta be over a cord for sure.
Not a total loss if it's Tulip Poplar, especially if you're under the gun for next winter's wood. Tulip dries quickly, even though it doesn't burn as long as some other types....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.