Yesterday's splitting party with my new (to me) Lickety Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Yesterday I made a dent in the massive score at my dad's house where recently the neighborhood had a "perfect storm" of folks getting trees cut down. The next door neighbor had a massive ash cut and some big branches trimmed off of an oak. Across the street a tree company took down a pin oak, a black walnut, and another ash. I'm not even sure how much it will be when all is said and done. Anyway-here's some pics of my new Lickety Splitter:

Splitting002.jpg

Splitting001.jpg

As far as I can tell this particular model was rated at 20 tons and it shows. Knotty twisted pieces of oak and crotches are no match for this thing!

Splitting003.jpg

Splitting005.jpg

Splitting004.jpg

I'm not sure on the pump size but the 5 HP engine surprised me-I thought it would be underpowered but it hardly skips a beat even with the really gnarly stuff. It cycles reasonably fast too.

Here's the result of today's work-there's still a decent sized pile of splits that I didn't take since I maxed out the springs on both trucks with these loads:

Splitting007.jpg

Splitting006.jpg

Here's the pile of black walnut which I haven't even touched save for noodling a few of the monster pieces:

Splitting008.jpg

The fun part will be figuring out how many years ahead I am when all is said and done ;)

Sweet looking splitter, looks like someone took care of it. Did they modify the wheel lifting system and make it a fixed height?

SolarAndWood said:
Sweet looking splitter, looks like someone took care of it. Did they modify the wheel lifting system and make it a fixed height?

My dad picked it up on Craigslist for $600 from a local guy who buys, fixes, and sells OPE. I don't know if he modified it or the previous owner did. It's a little high, but not bad if you're working with another person. I'm trying to figure out how old it is-I'm thinking it's at least mid '60s/early '70s.

Badfish, you have scored really big with the wood. That is nice that the wood is close to home!

Backwoods Savage said:
Badfish, you have scored really big with the wood. That is nice that the wood is close to home!

Hehe...I'm still counting the jackpot-I just measured out what I brought home (the wife and I stacked it this morning) and it's just shy of half a cord. What's left of what we already split that's still at my dad's will make it over half a cord easily. I'm not a good enough estimator to guess how much will come out of that pile of black walnut. No matter-the leaves are up, the Giants are on, my Yuengling is cold and the dog is snoozing by my side-time to enjoy a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.