Yet another chain question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmodaddy

Burning Hunk
Sep 12, 2011
So IL
Ok guys I know most are probably tired of all the endless chain questions but here's another. What is the difference in all the chains. What is the "Pico" cut? Circle cut chisels and on and on. Please help me under stand I'm not a total newbe but still kinda lost. Currently I'm sawing with a Ms 290 with 18 inch bar. I think I'm using a micro Pico (????) Not truly sure but its what the guy sent me home with from dealer several years ago. What chain style are you using and why. Predominantly we (neighbor n I ) cut hard wood trees already down from storms but do occasionally fell one or two dead ones. Thanks alot!!!

Look on your bar there will be some stamped info on it near the power head. Post that info and you will get better answer to fit your saw.

smokinjay said:
Look on your bar there will be some stamped info on it near the power head. Post that info and you will get better answer to fit your saw.
So the only variable will be application. I cut a majority of softer wood not like you guys back in the Easterly ares. I have been told that some chains cut better than others in different woods. Maybe you could try a couple styles till you find the one you like. Your gauge and bar length are the main thing, then the size of your motor. Some smaller saws don't have the snoot to run skip tooth or a longer bar... ;-)

RNLA said:
smokinjay said:
So the only variable will be application. I cut a majority of softer wood not like you guys back in the Easterly ares. I have been told that some chains cut better than others in different woods. Maybe you could try a couple styles till you find the one you like. Your gauge and bar length are the main thing, then the size of your motor. Some smaller saws don't have the snoot to run skip tooth or a longer bar... ;-)

Yep yep. If I am cutting already down wood a semi is the chain for me. Felling and bucking full comp. 32 inch bar on a 460 full skip full chisel. 41 inch on an 880 full Comp!

shmodaddy said:
Full skip?? A semi?? full chisel???? That's my question!! What does that reference??

Full skip half the teeth letting a longer bar run with less cc's. Full chisel is the style of cutter its faster but dulls quicker in dirty wood. Semi will be slower but stay sharper in the dirty wood. Lots of combo's but it is better to know your saw and what is running now to point you in a good direction. Lot more combos than just the ones I mentioned.

Lol.... I hear ya!! Ill check my saw out tonight n give u all more info!!! I get confused over all the combos. But for the most part really wanting a general description of chain types so I can follow along better in some the forums. This forum is GREAT!!!! I spend most my day at work now readin it. You all have been very helpful. I found a thread about muffler mods for my saw and planning on trying that!!!

shmodaddy said:
Lol.... I hear ya!! Ill check my saw out tonight n give u all more info!!! I get confused over all the combos. But for the most part really wanting a general description of chain types so I can follow along better in some the forums. This forum is GREAT!!!! I spend most my day at work now readin it. You all have been very helpful. I found a thread about muffler mods for my saw and planning on trying that!!!

There is also a simi skip it has 1/3 less teeth than a full comp chain. Just alot out there...Thats just one brand.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chain-guide-bar/saw-chain.html

Some more...lol
http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=70

On the baileys sight there is a free carlton chain book that really gets into detail. I sharpen chains now for about tree years as a service. Darn sure dont have them all down yet.

shmodaddy said:
The bayless link didn't work. Could you please verify the address for me.

It is working for me, but it is baileys.com its an awesome chainsaw heaven. Get on there mailing list to. Some good bargains and some stuff just to look at. ;-)

http://www.baileysonline.com/default.asp

smokinjay said:
shmodaddy said:

It is working for me, but it is baileys.com its an awesome chainsaw heaven. Get on there mailing list to. Some good bargains and some stuff just to look at. ;-)

Yup. Got my 2011 Christmas sale catalogue in yesterday's mail. Maybe I was good enough this year for Santa to bring me something ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
shmodaddy said:

Yup. Got my 2011 Christmas sale catalogue in yesterday's mail. Maybe I was good enough this year for Santa to bring me something ;-P

Wow have not gotten mine yet! They must be mad at me..... :cheese:

Ok wow my head is really spinning!!! There ARE tons of chain combos!! I did get on bayless mailing list so hopefully ill get a catalogue soon too. But my chain is a .325 pitch(which means what??) .063 gauge (I understand that )micro comfort (that I don't understand )

shmodaddy said:
Ok wow my head is really spinning!!! There ARE tons of chain combos!! I did get on bayless mailing list so hopefully ill get a catalogue soon too. But my chain is a .325 pitch(which means what??) .063 gauge (I understand that )micro comfort (that I don't understand )

Ok the .325-063 is an old school chain. nothing wron with it though. What length bar you running? What do you cut down wood or fresh standing?

Well both.... we been cutting downed hardwood oak and hickory from recent storms. Occasionally fell one or two standing dead trees. Not really complaining about chain seems to cut good. But its the only chain I've cut with. I love it when it's throwing "corn flakes" (our term) but would love to out cut neighbor lol he's running the same saw. Planning a muffler mod and already running a 18 inch bar.

shmodaddy said:
Well both.... we been cutting downed hardwood oak and hickory from recent storms. Occasionally fell one or two standing dead trees. Not really complaining about chain seems to cut good. But its the only chain I've cut with. I love it when it's throwing "corn flakes" (our term) but would love to out cut neighbor lol he's running the same saw. Planning a muffler mod and already running a 18 inch bar.

Then I would go with full chiesl on a 18 inch 290 and for sure the muff modd. You get into some dirty would a simi chisel would win in the "pits If you will." Sounds like your would should be more than clean enough to take advantage of full chiesl though.

Here is a good chain for the money. If going with this brand I would get 2. Other one to look at would be the stihl rsc its more expensive but if your a good sharpener it is a faster chain. Both chains are full chiesl no skip or some say full comp!

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=woodlandpro 23RC&catID=11801

smokinjay said:
shmodaddy said:

Ok the .325-063 is an old school chain. nothing wron with it though. What length bar you running? What do you cut down wood or fresh standing?

You mean it's been around for a while, right?

New 290's and 291's in my region come with .325, .063 chain.

TreePointer said:
smokinjay said:
shmodaddy said:

You mean it's been around for a while, right?

New 290's and 291's in my region come with .325, .063 chain.

You can get it any combo you would like, but the .325 in a 050 would be a better choice. jmo

Categories for .325 http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=11797

shmodaddy said:
That's how i read it "been around " not old technology necessarily

Lots still using .063-3/8. Now I use 063 but its on a 122cc saw. Go as narrow as you can for many reason's but stay safe too!

Really.... I figured. 063 being a wider gauge would b stronger. Not second guessing you but what's your thoery on the 050

shmodaddy said:
Really.... I figured. 063 being a wider gauge would b stronger. Not second guessing you but what's your thoery on the 050

050 is not stronger, (it is still very strong chain) but the narrower kerf makes it a faster chain. Not by much and would not spend alot to change one out but given the choice I would go 050. Now if my 880 would run 043 safe when milling that would be Awesome!

shmodaddy said:
I see.....

Now if it was time for a new bar and sprocket this would make more sense to change it out. With muff modd! :cheese:

I think ill try a pair of those chains you suggested along with the muffler mod I found in a earlier thread!! I love seeing my neighbors eyes pop out of his head when I blow him away with stuff......lol its a very friendly competition! I'll. Keep the 050 chain and bar in mind when its time for a swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.