Yet another chain question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shmodaddy said:
I think ill try a pair of those chains you suggested along with the muffler mod I found in a earlier thread!! I love seeing my neighbors eyes pop out of his head when I blow him away with stuff......lol its a very friendly competition! I'll. Keep the 050 chain and bar in mind when its time for a swap.

Yep yep, wait til you have to!

The drive sprocket on your saw has a pitch, the sprocket in the tip of you bar has a pitch, and chains have pitch. ALL THREE MUST MATCH. (Exception: bars without tip sprockets (solid nose) don't have a pitch.)

Your bar has a GAUGE (width of groove) and your chain has a GAUGE. BOTH OF THOSE MUST MATCH. (Note that the drive sprocket on your saw is gauge independent; that is, the drive sprocket can accommodate different gauges.)

shmodaddy said:
***banging head on desk**** ok does the pitch relate to different clutch and bar assemblies?

Yes!

When buying a new chain, these THREE criteria must be met:

Pitch
Gauge
Number of drive links (DL)

(fixed it)

TreePointer said:
When buying a new chain, all FOUR of these criteria must be met:

Pitch
Gauge
Bar mount type

lol, there you go throwing in #4 stihl large mount. Only matter if your buying a bar.

I have been very happy with Stihl RMC full chisel chain on my 029. Mine is a 20" bar so you should have even better results with your 18". Here's a picture of the box and another to give you an idea of what the chain looks like. This is not "safety" chain so you do have a higher risk of kick back when using it.
Also look around this site. I think it will answer most of your questions. I learned most of what I know reading here a few years ago. http://www.madsens1.com/muu_barchain.htm
When you do buy, I recommend Stihl chain.

Attachments

• DSC06792.jpg
    DSC06792.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC06793.jpg
    DSC06793.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 269
The picture of the chain sucks. Sorry. I will look for a better one.

TreePointer said:
The drive sprocket on your saw has a pitch, the sprocket in the tip of you bar has a pitch, and chains have pitch. ALL THREE MUST MATCH. (Exception: bars without tip sprockets (solid nose) don't have a pitch.)

Your bar has a GAUGE (width of groove) and your chain has a GAUGE. BOTH OF THOSE MUST MATCH. (Note that the drive sprocket on your saw is gauge independent; that is, the drive sprocket can accommodate different gauges.)

Roger that I'm understanding so far any way........

smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

Pitch
Gauge
Bar mount type

lol, there you go throwing in #4 stihl large mount. Only matter if your buying a bar.

Oops, having a brain cramp today. LOL!

Fixed it.

Flatbedford said:
I have been very happy with Stihl RMC full chisel chain on my 029. Mine is a 20" bar so you should have even better results with your 18". Here's a picture of the box and another to give you an idea of what the chain looks like. This is not "safety" chain so you do have a higher risk of kick back when using it.
Also look around this site. I think it will answer most of your questions. I learned most of what I know reading here a few years ago. http://www.madsens1.com/muu_barchain.htm

NOW THAT'S AN AWESOME LINK!!!! Thank-you very much very informational!!!!

TreePointer said:
smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

Pitch
Gauge
Bar mount type

Oops, having a brain cramp today. LOL!

Fixed it.

Yea me too, was trying to keep it simple but always goes this way! :lol: Should we now throw in square chisel? lol

[
Flatbedford said:

That's yellow label semi-chisel chain, not full chisel. RSC chain is full chisel. Been meaning to pick up a couple RMC loops for my 034.

Green label chain is "low-kickback", "homeowner", or "safety chain".
Yellow label chain is often called "aggressive" chain.

Stihl Micro is Semi-Chisel (Rounded Cutters)
Stihl Super is Full-Chisel (Sharp Pointed Cutters)
Stihl Picco is equivilant to "Low-Pro" or Low-Profile chain from other brands.

Common chain pitches: 1/4", 3/8 Low-Pro, .325, 3/8", .404"

Chain pitch is the distance between any three consective rivets divided by two.
Chain gauge is the thickness of the drive links and sometimes the tie-straps/cutters.
Chain length is the number of drive links in the chain loop.

Full Skip means the chain has half the usual number of cutters compared to a normal full-comp chain.
Half Skip means the chain has 2/3 the usual number of cutters compared to a normal full-comp chain.
Full Comp means the chain has all of it's cutters and is what typically is on any given saw that isn't on a logging truck or in Jay's shop.

I highly recomend browsing Stihl's library of chain info and watching their videos for how-to's on chain ID and sharpening. Lots of great info that applies to far more than just their product. The more you learn about chain the more you'll like theirs tho so watch out! ;-)

http://stihldealer.net/videolibrary/OnePlayer.aspx?v=22&vt=22&vb=0&id=22 - The chainsaw instructional video.
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/STIHL-Sharp-Advice-Saw-Chain-Guide-Bars.pdf

MasterMech said:
[
Flatbedford said:

That's yellow label semi-chisel chain, not full chisel. RSC chain is full chisel. Been meaning to pick up a couple RMC loops for my 034.

Oops! I guess I should pay more attention to what I buy. :red: It still cuts very nicely and the 029 seems happy with it.

Flatbedford said:
MasterMech said:
[
Flatbedford said:

Oops! I guess I should pay more attention to what I buy. :red: It still cuts very nicely and the 029 seems happy with it.

Downed wood the simi is the fast chain! I think you did that on propose. :cheese:

Yeah, yeah, right. That's what I meant to do. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.