Yet another Craigslist Idiot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
http://capecod.craigslist.org/mat/2632072974.html

I have Approximately 1 Dozen mature oaks that I'd like to get out of here before the leaves fall.You will need to be insured and have some tight space capabilities. Most are good sized and some are huge. You take the lumber-I don't pay-Stumps need to go also.Absolutely No Damage other than some grass areas. Respond by Email. You'll get a lot of wood and free advertising in a nice area. Thanks for Looking-Before the Leaves Fly!

My take; you must be an expert tree service, well equipped, and insured, you must work for free, and I need it done now.

exactly! And you know what, the tree companies in Mass are not hurting enough for ads like this. The tree companies cut trees for money and resell the log length trees or do the labor themselves to make firewood. They make money x2 on a tree job unless the homeowner wants the trees themselves. The only ones to respond may be hacks looking for the wood, uninsured and no liability.

And you better be neat about it too :coolgrin:

Most tree services do not want anything to do with firewood. Nor this Guy!

I'm speechless, does that ever work?

smokinjay said:

Exactly. I do repair work for four tree companies and none of them save firewood.

Dune said:
smokinjay said:

Exactly. I do repair work for four tree companies and none of them save firewood.

I'm not in any way involved in the business but the wood (what 24 cords worth?) is only worth something after you spend another couple days labor to split so get your splitter ready too. I'll guess around here your looking at 4-5K to take down and stump grind 12 large oaks, maybe more. Then you gotta split and deliver it. Some deal :roll: . I'd take out an ad in PennySaver for $100 if I want to advertise.

jatoxico said:

I don't think so, because if I were in full scrounging mode, I would call that guy, tell him I will cut his trees, take the wood, leave the stumps and the brush, and do it on my own schedule, not his, and without insurance. I would leave my number and tell him to call me if he didn't get a better offer.

X out of ten call within a month.

jatoxico said:
Dune said:
smokinjay said:

I'm not in any way involved in the business but the wood (what 24 cords worth?) is only worth something after you spend another couple days labor to split so get your splitter ready too. I'll guess around here your looking at 4-5K to take down and stump grind 12 large oaks, maybe more. Then you gotta split and deliver it. Some deal :roll: . I'd take out an ad in PennySaver for $100 if I want to advertise.

More likely 2 or 3 cords. Even if they were huge for around here, ten cords would be a huge harvest from 12 trees.

Dune said:
jatoxico said:

I don't think so, because if I were in full scrounging mode, I would call that guy, tell him I will cut his trees, take the wood, leave the stumps and the brush, and do it on my own schedule, not his, and without insurance. I would leave my number and tell him to call me if he didn't get a better offer.

Yes just dont get in over your head..,..When a homeowner says its tight chances are its UGLY!

smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

Yes just dont get in over your head..,..When a homeowner says its tight chances are its UGLY!

Defintely. I only cut safe easy trees.

Dune said:
smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

Defintely. I only cut safe easy trees.

I love the ones that say its a little tight but if you climb up there and cut that one limb it will be ok....I would love to say: here hold my beer I will be right back! ;-P

smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

it would be quite pleasing to drive by there after the snow falls and see his trees still standing.

smokinjay said:

Thats how I get a lot of my firewood, people have trees cut down and the tree companies leave the wood. They charge extra to dispose it. Some people try and get an arm and a leg for it but I find some that just want it out of their yard.
There a guy near me asking $200 a cord for the rounds the tree company left behind, you pick it up and split it, and for the priviledge you give him $200. I see all his wood is still in his yard.

onetracker said:
smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

it would be quite pleasing to drive by there after the snow falls and see his trees still standing.

This guy started out wanting 2,000.00 a couple years ago! lol Guess what we paid?

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 958
smokinjay said:
onetracker said:
smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

This guy started out wanting 2,000.00 a couple years ago! lol Guess what we paid?

$0

weatherguy said:
smokinjay said:
onetracker said:
smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico" date="1318105308 said:

$0

+ gas! lol but that 880 5 gallons goes quick.

Most of the tree companies around here seem to save firewood, but they save only a fraction of the wood the handle. I gather they save the easy stuff near their equipment yard, and the other 80% of the wood they'd just as soon have somebody take away, or if they have been paid to haul it away, they'd just as soon haul it to your nearby residence instead of somewhere more distant or where they'd pay disposal fees.

That's like telling a landscaper you'll pay him in grass clipping , or a plumber with..........

krex1010 said:
That's like telling a landscaper you'll pay him in grass clipping , or a plumber with..........
Plums.

How about telling your car mechanic he can keep the junk parts in exchange for replacing them for you?

:zip:

Dune said:
How about telling your car mechanic he can keep the junk parts in exchange for replacing them for you?
Or, is it like when I try to take my Stihl in and they offer that it's gonna cost more to fix than it's worth, but they will gladly dispose of the completely worthless carcass. Yeah right, over my dead body.

krex1010 said:

What that's no good? All he got to do is compost it for a couple years then sell the top soil.

smokinjay said:
onetracker said:
smokinjay said:
Dune said:
jatoxico said:

Safety police here.....you no got gloves on, and your buddy no got hearing protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.