Yet Another Creosote Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking up your stove on the web I found this: Dislikes: Small firebox, only 6 hours before coals are dead (maple, ash). Thin inner fireplates that crack apart. Rear firebricks crack immediately (I built a shield from an old stove part to cover them). Manifold is poorly designed such that cast nipples holding the stainless plate pop off when it warps, negating any clean burning. I repaired the existing one by drilling through and tapping for bolts instead of the bevel head screws to keep the two parts together (works great). I also have to prop up an old stove part to protect the inner fireplate from cracking even further. I think for the next stove I will investigate steel instead of cast iron...

Anything to do with your problem?

if the blanket was pushed up it cloud have only gotten worse because of outside temps and maybe wood or just the chimney getting clogged are you still underconstruction as you keep doing things to the house you can change the presuer in the house so it cloud affect the draft. just guesses

Jerry_NJ said:
Looking up your stove on the web I found this: Dislikes: Small firebox, only 6 hours before coals are dead (maple, ash). Thin inner fireplates that crack apart. Rear firebricks crack immediately (I built a shield from an old stove part to cover them). Manifold is poorly designed such that cast nipples holding the stainless plate pop off when it warps, negating any clean burning. I repaired the existing one by drilling through and tapping for bolts instead of the bevel head screws to keep the two parts together (works great). I also have to prop up an old stove part to protect the inner fireplate from cracking even further. I think for the next stove I will investigate steel instead of cast iron...

Anything to do with your problem?

Wow, someone had a really bad experience with their stove. I cannot be sure about the manifold condition wihtout looking more closely at it, but that could be relevant, I'll check into it when it cools down.

I can get a reliable 8-9 hours off a good full firebox and still have enough coals left over to ignite small splits in the morning. Firebox is on the small side for hte size and mass of the stove, I agree...the secondary burn tube manifold intrudes way down into the main chamber. I've had no cracking of alignment problems wiht my stove that I can find.

My wife informs me that the fire is now out so I'l vacuum that blanket out and if there are any distorted spots I'll trim them a bit before reinserting and we'll see what we get.

I appreciate the help.

Well I hoovered it out as best I could last night...lots and lots of ash embedded in that blanket. Unfortunately the action of cleaning it tore off about 1/3 of the total material...it has absolutely no real strength to it at all, not too surprising considering its basically like a thin sheet of owens corning, but fireproof. I'll order a replacement sheet during the summer so I'm all set in the fall when I have a need for it. Meanwhile I took the biggest remaining piece, which really was pretty much the entire original footprint, with some chunks taken out and a bit thinner where some layers came off, and reinserted it into the stove. Its working much better now, got alot more heat out of it this morning than in the last week or so and little to no smoke.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

mayhem said:
Well I hoovered it out as best I could last night...lots and lots of ash embedded in that blanket. Unfortunately the action of cleaning it tore off about 1/3 of the total material...it has absolutely no real strength to it at all, not too surprising considering its basically like a thin sheet of owens corning, but fireproof. I'll order a replacement sheet during the summer so I'm all set in the fall when I have a need for it. Meanwhile I took the biggest remaining piece, which really was pretty much the entire original footprint, with some chunks taken out and a bit thinner where some layers came off, and reinserted it into the stove. Its working much better now, got alot more heat out of it this morning than in the last week or so and little to no smoke.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Ya got ta love it when a plan comes together, and we learn something new every day. Glad to hear your problem is solved, next winter should be a snap.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.